icon

delay accessory for cold starts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ngooo 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2012 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
I have just ordered the 528T on ebay, should get it in a week or so. I will pick up the diode.  2 more questions: do i have to fuse the 12volt red wire? fuse size? And if you would kindly look at the picture in the link above and advise if it makes a difference which side i tap the 528 on the ACC1 line.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2012 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
That drawing doesn't really tell you anything!
Look at this:-
acc_delay.bmp
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
Now here is a question Howie. Why cut the factory wire? If it is starting fine with the key then why not just connect the acc from the r/s to the 528T, then the 528T to the accessory wire in the car???
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
ngooo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

As per the wiring info on this site, i connected the ACC1 at the plug in the left kick panel.  I am not sure if i should connect the 528T closer to the plug in the panel, or on the other side.  No idea where the switch is.

Of course, if i could just tap into the R/S ACC1 line as Kenny has mentioned, none of the above matters, and that would be nice and easy.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2012 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
You're absolutely right, that's the problem with thinking up stuff on the fly delay accessory for cold starts - Page 6 -- posted image.
6EF_acc_delay.bmp
ngooo 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2012 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

Gents, i had a couple of failures this weekend even with the A/C off.  I currently have it on Tach, and it doesn't appear to crank long enough, it tries 3x, and fails, then sends a low tach signal error message.  If i get in the van, and use the key, i notice it requires a little long holding then what the R/S tries.  With the key, never had a failure. 

I am thinking i have two options:  either increase the tach mode starter release with the bitwriter, if i set it to max of 20, will that help me with the crank time?  Or i just go to voltage sense and increase the crank time for more reliability? 

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2012 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
try voltage sense for now and increase crank time. see if that helps.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
Another trick I've learned is to bring the RPM's up slightly before programming tach. Depending on the air temperature at the time of the install, the engine may not have required a cold start RPM increase... therefore the r/s is sensing the RPM and cutting off before the vehicle can run itself. Don't bring it up too high otherwise you'll have the exact opposite in the summer, but just a few hundred RPMS should do it. I usually program it around 1200rpm depending on the vehicle.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
the manual states to program when the vehicle reaches the lowest possible revs, but i always program on a cold engine. yet to have a problematic vehicle.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
offroadzj 
Posted: January 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
Exactly. On a cold engine, the rpm's are usually higher. However if the install was done in a heated garage or with a warm engine, you won't have that initial increased RPM and that can cause issues.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic