icon

delay accessory for cold starts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
Surely I've mentioned at least increasing the revs during programming before on this marathon post, even if I forgot the obvious "extend the crank time" routine.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
Confirm January 16th. was any action taken by the first poster?
opelap 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  

I know the original poster may be past this already, but why wouldn't turning menu 3 option 10 to off not accomplish what he needs.

This turns ACC power off during wait to start.  So even though it is not a diesel, the ACC will remain off until the vehicle cranks.

Why the need to cut more wires and add another timer?

offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not familiar with that option, but does that only turn the ACC off if the wait-to-start wire is connected or does it not matter if the WTS is connected or not?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
opelap 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  

From the 5904 manual

10. Accessory during Diesel Start Delay

1. On: the Accessory outputs (H3/3 high current and H2/22 low current) will be ON during diesel start delay

2. Off: the Accessory outputs (H3/3 high current and H2/22 low current) will be OFF during diesel start delay

So whether the start delay is based off of the wire or the delay it should leave ACC off.  Accidentally turned it off when installing a 951 into my Acura and freaked out when I didn't have any ACC the first time I tried to RS.

So I know it works with the 15 sec delay and assume it would work with the option set to WTS wire. It just will not bring up the ACC until the unit tries to start.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
Opelap, your last sentence :-
"It just will not bring up the ACC until the unit tries to start".
Is self defeating and entirely moot, the desired result is to have ACC on AFTER starting.
I still think the combo of increasing revs during programming, extend crank time and the already purchased new battery is the answer.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
I still think the combo of increasing revs during programming, extend crank time and the already purchased new battery is the answer.
^^This!!
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
opelap 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
Opelap, your last sentence :-
"It just will not bring up the ACC until the unit tries to start".
Is self defeating and entirely moot, the desired result is to have ACC on AFTER starting.

Well I assumed since the ACC is shut off during crank already, that would be the end result.  Maybe my sentence was not clear.

So if the RS does not power the ACC until the delay is over (which could be instantly with it set to WTS wire right?)  and the RS cranks immediately after the delay, then I would expect the behavior of the car to have no ACC until after crank.

Not so?  Just trying to understand

When I set it to off on my unit, the ACC never came up. Now I had other issues at the time so the car would crank but not start, so I did not pay close attention to what happened after crank, but assume that it would have brought the ACC up after it started.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2012 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
Yes there was some confusion, but the rest of your last post was IMO absolutely correct. My (Clifford G4 R/S) doesn't turn on the ACC until
AFTER the R/S is successfully enabled.
The whole points is my statement about increasing revs and crank time is again, IMO the whole answer.
ngooo 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2012 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  

When i changed to the new battery, it helped a lot, the failures were less, the battery voltage drops are no longer dipping into 8.x volts.. 

All tach learning was/is done in warm garage. I did try programming it at 1200RPM, and getting even fewer failures.  After reading your posts, i decided to learn the tach at even a higher rpm: 1500 RPM, and the pass 3 days has been good, no failures whatsoever.  i guess 1200 is good for some cars, but with this fully loaded van, a higher RPM is required.  Waiting for some really cold days to confirm if this is the end of the saga.

I still don't understand the technical part of how learning a tach at a higher RPM extendeds the crank time?

Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic