icon

viper 5301 on a 01 silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lime4x4 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2012 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
I recently purchased a viper 5301 remote start along with the xpresskit dball module. I thought i have everything wired correctly but i'm starting to think that i don't. First off the install instruction for the viper shows reference to 5 pin and 8 pin connectors which i don't have. I have a 18 pin connector. The door locks work along with the horn and lights. When i try to remote start the truck nothing happens then the lights flash 8 times which tells me the ground isn't hooked up for the neutral safety switch. I did attach the BLACK/ white to ground. The thing i notice is that when attempting to start the truck nothing appears to be getting power on the ignition side. Dash doesn't lite up along with the radio or hvac. I'm thinking i have the wiring messed up for the 8 heavy ones.Currently have all the wires attached to ignition circuits and acc circuits. Isn't atleast one of those heavy wire suppose to have a constant 12 volts?
lime4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2012 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
also i'm using D2D between the modules
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2012 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

Here is a link to the 5301 Install guide for your unit with the 18 Pin H2 connector :  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=1061

Did you connect the Neutral Safety Switch and set it to the ON position?

Assuming auto trans, did you program the Viper for such ( Menu 3, Item 1, Opt 2 )?

If you list your H3 connection, it would help.  Here is a picture of the wires marked.

viper 5301 on a 01 silverado -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
lime4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to hook up the switch. Once i did that it still doesn't start but it no longer flashes any codes. If i have the key and turn it to run and hit the remote start it works. Here is how i currently have the H3 wired
red to pink
pink to pink
RED / white to white
pink/white to white
RED / black to brown
orange to orange
purple to yellow
None of those wires are attached to a constant 12 volt wire. Thanks for any and all help..
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
The Red, RED / White and RED / Black from the H3 connector go to the Red and RED / White +12V constant wires in the photo.  Also the H1 Red wire can be connected to these wires, just split it up 2 on one and 2 on the other.
Soldering is fun!
lime4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
I was thinking that the wires that were marked with a + should be hot all the time but the ignition and acc wording threw me off. Thanks works like a charm now
kreg357 
Posted: March 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
viper 5301 on a 01 silverado -- posted image.  Two thumbs up!  Good job!  Time for a cheese steak sandwich....
Soldering is fun!
lime4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
Just another quick question. I was reading the install manual from that link u posted. It said diesels should use virtual tach. So i assume i have to connect the tach wire from the viper to the tach signal wire. Would that be one of the wires for the ipc?
lime4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2012 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
sorry the manual says not to use virtual tach
kreg357 
Posted: March 25, 2012 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

If you have a gas engine, you can go in Virtual Tach or Tach mode.   Personally, I feel Tach mode is

more reliable, especially in cold climates.  Here is some info from DEI on the Tach wire.

Tachometer    White  (ac)       instrument cluster (gas or diesel) or ECM (gas)

The ECM (Engine Control Module) is located near the battery, down low, between the fender and the fan

under the black plastic cover. On the 4.3L, the tach wire is in pin 20 in the connector labeled red. On
the 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L, the tach wire is located in pin 10 in the red connector.

Another good source is a F.I.  Each F.I. has two wires going to it.  One color wire is the same at

all injectors, the other wires' color is unique for each injector.  Connect ( solder ) the Vipers' Tach
wire to the "uncommon" color wire.  Below is a picture of a 2002 5.3L V-8 F.I. connector.  Think it was
the second cylinder back on the drivers side.  Remember to program the Viper to Tach Mode ( Menu 3,
Item 2, Opt 4 ) and do the Tach Learn process.

viper 5301 on a 01 silverado -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic