viper 5704 alarm 1st alarm attempt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wiseman118 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM / IP Logged  
Hello,
   I have an 86 buick regal grand national (sub model from Buick regal) and I had my alarm installed professionally, but I have moved and the installer did not hook upnthe trunk release feature.
I am trying to hook up this feature but I am not sure exactly what wires to use on the viper module. From the wiring information sheet for my car on this website it says:
Trunk pin ----- light blue (-) --------trunk switch
On the viper diagram, which of the following wires on the viper module do I hook the factory trunk wire to:
24 pin connector:
1. H2/5 ------ RED / WHITE ------- (-)200mA TRUNK RELEASE OUTPUT
2. H2/19 ----- BLUE -------TRUNK PIN/ INSTANT TRIGGER INPUT (N/O or N/C)
Will I need an relays? Will I need to program the remote to allow the new trunk feature to work (it will have to use the AUX button)?
I very good with my hands but this is my VERY 1st time messing with alarm wiring. Am I in over my head, and should just take it to a professional?
THANKS!
Wiseman118
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2012 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
Trunk pin or trigger and trunk release are two different items.
The blue trunk trigger at H2/19 should if a competent installation be already installed.
As for the trunk release, you will need a standard automotive type Bosch/Tyco automotive relay, a 1N44004 diode (mandatory, it protects the 5704 from spiked feedback voltage), band towards the 5704 as shown in the diagram.
You will also need 3 faston blue (87,87a and 30), 2 faston red, for 85 and 86 and a good crimper.
You will also need some solder, an iron and heat shrink.
All above available from Radio Shack.
Your existing release switch will have a constant power feed, use that to power your relay.
On the diagram please follow relay pin configuration exactly.
regal_trunk.bmp
wiseman118 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for Your help Howie II. This info surely helps me a bunch.
Once I have everything wired up, will the remote recognize the trunk release automatically (by pressing the AUX button)? Or will I have to do some kind of remote control programming?
Wiseman118
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
If AUX is the default button for trunk release then that's it. Remember you have to press that button for about 2 seconds before anything happens.
wiseman118 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2012 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
Hi howie II,
   I have gotten myself into a pickle here. I looked at the alarm module today and began the trunk open feature hook up per your above instructions. Here are the results:
1. The professional installer did not have the H2/5 (RED / WHITE) and the H2/19 (BLUE) wires connected. These wires were just cut short. The RED / white wire is trunk release output (-) and the blue wire is the trunk pin/ instant trigger input.
2. So, I followed the diagram and your instructions exactly.
   A) I added the diode with the cathode strip positioned towards the alarm (5704). This       
        wire (H2/5 trunk release output, red / white) ) was connected to pin 85.
   B) Pin 86 was connected to a constant 12v source.
   C) Here is the tricky part, pin 87a and pin 30 were then sliced / teed'd the light blue
        (- ) (trunk switch) from the car harness (under the steering wheel column.I can hear the relay "clicking" on and off when I press the "aux" button to open the truck.
The wires on the back of the factory trunk button are brown (+) and black (-) and only get power when the switch is turned on.
Please help, thanks!
Wiseman118
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2012 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  
Test the black and brown at the switch with the ignition on (NOT engine running), one will go to POS (+) only when you press the button. Switch side to 87a, trunk side to 30.
Did you connect 87 to 86?
Pin 87a is NOT connected to the blue wire.
H2/19 goes to the trunk lock switch trigger which brings on the trunk light or the wire to the trunk light which switches to NEG (-).
That blue wire has nothing to do with trunk release, it simply tells the alarm the trunk has been opened. Please read my other post again.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2012 at 3:21 AM / IP Logged  
In my picture the red wire from the relay is shown joined to the power feed of the existing switch.
Since your trunk release according to you only works with the ignition, please make sure that the red wire to 87 and 86 goes to a constant live fused at 15 amps.
Again please don't confuse trunk release (RED / white) and trunk trigger, (blue). They are separate functions.
Also when you said "Teed" did you mean Scotchlocks or similar?
racerjames76 
Silver - Posts: 581
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2012 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  
This will likely only serve to further confuse, but did the OP CUT the trunk RELEASE wire and wire in the relay as described, or merely tap 2 wires into the side of the release wire? Just an observation from a third party. Carry on viper 5704 alarm  1st alarm attempt -- posted image.
To master and control electricity is perfection. *evil laugh*
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2012 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
Racer, my picture specifically SAYS CUT.
Also the word "tap" frightens me.
May be I should explain the picture for our OP:-
Go to your trunk release switch.
Find the wire that goes to 12v+ when you press it. It doesn't matter if it only works when the ignition is on.
Now cut that wire and take the switch end to 87a and the trunk end to 30 on your relay.
Via the aforementioned 1N4004 diode, band to 5704 RED / white from 5704 t0 85 of relay.
12v+ CONSTANT, i.e. always live via a 15 amp fuse to 86 and 87.
Ignore the 5704 blue wire, that's for trunk trigger, i.e. DETECTING when the trunk is opened if the vehicle is alarmed NOTHING to do with trunk release.
If this isn't understood or followed there's nought else I can say or do except think the word hopeless or the phrase "back away from your car and take it to a pro".
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2012 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
I've now even modified that diagram to show where the blue wire (H2/19) comes into it:- 9FD_regal_trunk.bmp
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic