icon

bypass unit needed for 2012 colorado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blue5oh 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2012 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
I turn to this forum once again for help. The last time I needed it, you guys came through and made my life easier. Thank you.
A friend of mine wants to install an automatic start/alarm system in his new 2012 Chevy Colorado. I offered to help. I checked online and it doesn't look like they have a Fortin unit available for this application as of yet. I checked the DB-ALL and apparently that one will work. When I was having issues with my Altima, the DB-ALL was my main problem, I got the Fortin and everything worked great. I am hesitant on using the DB-ALL on the Colorado because of my past issues. Does anyone have any experience with a 2012 Colorado or similar? Not sure if the 2011 or any other model year are the same. Will the DB-ALL be an okay option or is there another. Thank you in advance!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2012 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

Haven't tried a DB-ALL on a Colorado, but going by iDatalink info, starting with the 2008 models, Chevrolet did something

to the Passlock2 that made it very difficult for Data Mode bypass modules to reliably function.  Due to this problem, they
recommend doing the Passlock2 bypass the "old school" way with relays and a very accurate resistor value.  Here is a link to
the Passlock2 "relays and resistor" method from Audiovox :  http://documents.audiovox.com/700054.pdf   

Here is the warning info from iDatalink : ( Posted in 2010. )

H3, Colorado & Canyon Passlocks

H3, Colorado & Canyon 2008-2009-2010 Passlock Tamper Mode: Please read the following before installing.
Passlock is not covered by the module on these vehicles because the BCM doesn't adapt well to external passlock modules.
Vehicle BCM internal power fluctuation which occurs in many different circumstances negatively affects external passlock bypass reliability.
When such fluctuation occurs the risks the vehicle going in tamper mode during remote start are high. The bypass module provides you a
highly precise (0.002v) passlock value, the module will not fluctuate when the BCM does which can result on the BCM and module not being
on the same comparison scale. If such situation occur the vehicle will probably go in tamper mode.
The IPC reference wire must be used as the sole Passlock reference in these vehicles to avoid Tamper Mode.
We recommend using relays and very accurate resistors on these specific Models/Years. (the Module will still take care of the PK3 immobilizer,
OEM alarm and doorlocks).

That being said, I did use an ADS bypass module ( without relays ) on a 2008 Colorado, soldering all connections, several years ago and it has

been performing flawlessly ever since. ( It's a neighbors truck that I see often.) 

Soldering is fun!
blue5oh 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2012 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
I really appreciate the info and I will take a look into both options. Possibly try the DB-ALL and see how it responds. Thank you!
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2012 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
i always use the 2 relays/resistor method and have never had an issue, very easy truck to do just did one yesterday, if truck doesnt have trailer tow pkg, brake lights is a light blue in the harness going up the a pillar on the driver side( can get it from under the dash)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic