icon

viper 4103 remote start, '89 535i

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hipmusicman 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2012 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

i got everything to work. i used the "start by voltage" feature instead of the tach. it work perfect in that setting. doesn't over crank and it starts everytime. not for the little things.

thank you everyone. you've all been a big help!

hipmusicman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

im trying to get the parking lights to come on when you lock and unlock the doors as well as remote start the car. i hooked up a relay to at least one of the lights but it wont even click. as much as .07 volts dc run through the parking lights wire from the remote start. do i have the wrong relay? it says 60A on the relay but i thought it was a 30A. is it just there is not enough voltage to trigger it?

also i would like to install an anti-grind relay but im not sure how to do that. the other day i turned the key too far after remote starting it from habbit when i didn't have the remote start.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2012 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
Set white wire for POS output, then through 2 x 1N5404 diodes to I think the grey / YELLOW and grey/purple at the light switch but then you didn't listen on your last post so why would you now?
hipmusicman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
I was told to use relays but I guess in could try that
hipmusicman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2012 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
i still have the question of the anti-grind
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2012 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
Anti grind, use this diagram, the 1N4004 between 85 and 86 is MANDATORY, otherwise fried 4103.
This will also give starter immobiliser on locking the doors, BUT I believe on a previous thread you used some kludged method of tach connection, that's why the starter grinds.
Hard wire and program tach from the black I told you about on that prior thread, where I also told you your vehicle was an 89 not as you said an 88:-
untitled_1.bmp
This is the relay method for the lights.
Again the 1N4004 diode is mandatory:- 7F8_untitled_1.bmp
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2012 at 5:06 AM / IP Logged  
OOPS my bad you said 89 from the word go, viper 4103 remote start, '89 535i - Page 3 -- posted image. sorry but rest of last past still applies with regard to tach programming.
hipmusicman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  

im sorry but your post is confusing me. im pretty sure i have the lights figured out so that's not my issue anymore. and as far as the tach goes i set it to voltage instead of tachometer so i don't have to hook up that wire to my tach. that problem was also solved.

as far as the anti-grind, it will only grind if i accidentally turn the key too far after remote starting. that's what i want to prevent. it's too much of a habbit to turn they key all the way when i get into the car wheather it's running or not.

hipmusicman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

i think i get it now. what kind of relay do i need though? and a diode between 85 and 86?

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,790
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

Standard automotive Bosch style 30/40 Amp SPDT relay, with 5 wire harness.  Diode is a standard blocking diode. 1N4004 ( or 1N4007 ) will do nicely.

Here is one way to wire the relay :

Relay Pin 85 to 4103 (-) 200mA Status Output
Relay Pin 86 to BMW Ignition wire ( or 4103 Heavy Pink wire, it goes to the same place )
Relay Pin 87A to BMW cut Starter wire - Ignition Switch side
Relay Pin 30 to BMW cut Starter wire - vehicle side
Relay Pin 30 also gets the 4103 thick Violet Starter wire connected.
Relay Pin 87 not used - insulate

Soldering is fun!
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic