icon

viper 4103 remote start, '89 535i

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
If you had hooked to tach, at least three methods I can think of on that vehicle, you wouldn't have that grind problem in the first place.
In answer to your question a standard automotive 5 pin relay, from Radio Shack or any automotive distributor. Terminal 87 isn't used.
The diode is mandatory, acts as an anti spike agent when the relay shuts down, otherwise about 300volts going back and goodbye to your 4103 with no warranty.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2012 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
K., I've already diagrammed that except the 4103 has a yellow ignition + output wire at H1/3 for that purpose, easier than running off the (much) thicker pink.
When the poster refers to "why the diode" I worry, remember the guy who fried his unit AFTER I told him to use diodes?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,789
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  

Oops, sorry Howard, I missed your anti-grind diagram.  viper 4103 remote start, '89 535i - Page 4 -- posted image.  ( That'll teach me to text, drive and eat a corned beef sandwich at the same time while navigating a round-about..)

Soldering is fun!
hipmusicman 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2012 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
i suppose then that means that i can't use a 4 pin relay. i understand how it all works. i'll try it out when i have time.otherwise i got the lights to work.
hipmusicman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

when i try to program the 4103 to lock and unlock with ignition it wont work. i turned the key on then off. held down the program button until the light flashed once (menu 1) then pressed the button twice (feature 2 - ignition locking) held the button down and kept it down. the light flashed 2 times (indicating feature 2 is selected) then pressed the unlock button on the remote (switch feature options) but when i pressed the unlock button the light doesn't flash anymore and never indicated that option 2 has been selected (option 2 being ignition locks ON). i released the button and tried the ignition to lock the doors (even when the doors were closed) and nothing happened turned the ignition off and nothing happened. i even tried programing the unlock feature but again the light just stopped doing anything after i pressed unlock on the remote. if i pushed lock it would go back to default (which is OFF for both features) what is going on?

hipmusicman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
Any ideas?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2012 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  
Green door trigger wire must see ground whilst programming.
hipmusicman 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2012 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
That's odd. I have it hooked up to a relay.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
door trigger not door lock.
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,428
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
There's no door trigger on the 4103. Hook up the horn much easier for programming you can listen to the beeps. If your trying to get to menu 1 option 2 them hold the programming button down till you get 1 beep or led flash then release the button and press and release the button 3 times holding the button down on the 3rd press. The horn should beep twice and the led will flash twice indicating your in option 2 them from there you can toggle the options using the fob
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic