icon

aftermarket or factory alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
No just the fuses, especially under hood (engine bay).
There should be a big (high current) fuse marked "ignition" or similar.
That first fuse you mentioned is the ignition output, even more reason to proceed in this order:-
a) Engine bay fuses.
b) Passenger compartment fuses.
c) Test ignition switch.
radyogyrl 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2012 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
There are only 3 fuses under the hood, and they are only 15A. The rest are relays. Nothing is marked "ignition", but per the diagram from the service manual, there are two relays that are ignition relays. I've already checked the wires that I was advised to check, and they all had voltage according to the test light. Here is the pic of the ignition relays I referred to above:
aftermarket or factory alarm? - Page 5 -- posted image.
Always willing to learn something new.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2012 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
Did you test the wires at the ignition switch (the plug you connected)?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
I checked the ignition switch wires also, and the b/y and b/g wires did not have voltage. All the other wires attached to the other side of the connector had voltage.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2012 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
If you have voltage on the WHITE/ black but nothing on the BLACK / YELLOW and BLACK/ blue (or green) then it sounds like you have a bad ignition. you can test it by jumping the WHITE/ black to the BLACK/ white and then touching the BLACK / YELLOW to the WHITE/ black momentarily (starter wire). But to me it sounds like a bad ignition switch. The BLACK/ blue (green) is just an accessory wire and isn't required to allow the vehicle to start, but the BLACK/ white wire and BLACK / YELLOW(s) MUST get power. Make sure to test the BLACK / YELLOW while turning the key to 'start'
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,671
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
When you tested the wires at the ignition switch, did you have the switch in the run position?
As suggested above, use a jumper wire and connect the constant wire to the ignition wire and see if the indicator lights on the dash illuminate. If they do, a brief powering of the starter wire should turn the starter and start the vehicle. If this works, there is a problem with the ignition switch.
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2012 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
When I tested the ignition switch wires, I tested them with the key turned to the "on" position. When I tested the wires at the other end of the connector, I tested them as I was advised by Kenny (offroadzj) in a previous post. I will use a jumper wire as suggested and let you know the outcome.
You guys are great! I am truly happy that I found this site.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
What? 3 fuses and the rest relays, I see about 12 in the picture!
Stop with your bloody relay obsession , relays are good for about 16 million cycles when not interfered with.
Re-read and take notice of Kenny's last post.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2012 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
I've only ever seen 2 relays fail ex-factory, one on a British Ford and one on a Porsche, both timer relays for the injection primer.
radyogyrl 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2012 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
Howie if you read the post where the picture is, I said that there were only three fuses under the hood. The fuses in the picture are under the dash and I have checked all of them and explained the outcome. I don't have an obsession with relays, but you have an obsession saying "bloody".
Page of 10

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic