icon

viper 5904 will not start by key

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
6sick6 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2013 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
I am attempting to troubleshoot a viper 5904 + iDatalink module (via D2D) in my wife's 2012 Honda Civic LX. Everything is installed as of two days ago. Everything alarm related is functional. On the remote start side.. not so much. At first I was having issues with the car not cranking at all during the remote start process. The remote would say it is starting, the car gauges would light up but and the viper unit would click but nothing else.
My current issue this: While fiddling with it tonight making sure the idatalink properly flashed/programmed for my configuration and pondering the possible issues. I attempted to start the car via remote a few times without success. I then attempted to start the car by turning the key in the ignition... nothing.. I figured maybe I ran the battery dead. Not the case. After sweating bullets for a while and jumping the starter wires purple and green at the harness that plugs into the viper unit then turning the key.. it fired right up. I'm thankful it did because I did not want to explain to the wife how I fried her brand new car.
Is it possible that the remote start is fried within the viper unit?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2013 at 5:30 AM / IP Logged  

Need more info.  Which iDatalink bypass module?  Some only handle the transponder bypass while others will do that and a whole lot more.  Additionally, most require a special firmware flash (DBI vs ADS firmware ) to go D2D with a Directed system ( Viper, Avital, etc ).

Have you installed Viper systems before?   The H3 harness can be tricky ( wire labels vague ).  The Neutral Safety setup and the Manual Transmission Mode default are other poorly documented areas.  Listing your H3 connections for forum members to check is a good start.

Have you tried to check the Vipers Shutdown Diagnostics?   This will give you an idea of the remote start failure.

Can you enter into PitStop mode?  That will verify that most of the ignition wires are correct.

Have you connected the Tach wire, programmed the Viper to Tach Mode and performed the Tach Learn Process?  That is the most reliable way to remote start an engine.

Soldering is fun!
6sick6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
Living and learning..
So.. I was thinking about what I could have done to f#ck this thing up..
I read the install manual and it says "Never use a test light or logic probe when installing this unit. Always use a multi-meter."
I used a test light to check for output on the   H3/4   Violet   Starter output (car side of starter kill) wire.
Probably fried it.
Any possible way to repair this? (Aside from purchasing new unit)
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

Actually, the only safe place to use a test light would be those thick, high current, ignition wires.

Your Viper should be OK if that is all you used the test light on.  Usually it's the vehicle and its' delicate computers that get fried by test light use,  As long as the Civic is working 100% OK by the key, you should be fine.

Perhaps if you listed your H3 wire connections...

Soldering is fun!
6sick6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2013 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
H3/1 pink  connected to blue
H3/2 See below
H3/3 orange        connected to orange
H3/4 violet  connected to yellow (car side)
H3/5 green  connected to yellow (key side)
H3/6 see below
H3/2 RED / white    connected to white
H3/6 red     connected to white
H1/1 red     connected to white
(All 3 are soldered the same white. All fuses are intact)
kreg357 
Posted: January 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

Forgot an important one, H3/9.

H3/1 PINK (+) IGNITION 1 INPUT/OUTPUT    Blue

H3/2 RED / WHITE (87) FLEX RELAY +12V INPUT (30A FUSED)       White
H3/3 ORANGE (+) ACCESSORY OUTPUT         Orange
H3/4 VIOLET (+) STARTER OUTPUT (CAR SIDE)       Yellow   cut
H3/5 GREEN (+) STARTER INPUT (KEY SIDE)           Yellow   cut
H3/6 RED IGNITION 1 +12V INPUT (30A FUSED)       White
H3/7 PINK/WHITE (30) FLEX RELAY OUTPUT             Red   *** Set Viper to Flex Relay = ACC2 ( Menu 3, Item 8, Opt 2 )
H3/8 PINK/BLACK (87a) FLEX RELAY INPUT    Not Used
H3/9 RED / BLACK ACC/STARTER RELAY +12V INPUT (30A FUSED) White
H3/10 NC No Connection

Soldering is fun!
6sick6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
I have not read anything about H3/9 being used. Would you happen to know how/where to go about connecting it?
6sick6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
So, connect H3/7 to red and H3/9 to white then set it up for flex relay in settings. Right?
kreg357 
Posted: January 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

Yes. 

H3/7 supplies power to the Civics Accessory2 circuit.
H3/2 supplies power to the Vipers Flex Relay ( ACC2 ).
H3/6 supplies power to H3/1 IGN1 relay.
H3/9 supplies power to the Vipers ACC1 and Starter relays.

While ACC2 might be optional and not an issue when trying to get the Viper to crank the engine,

H3/9 is very important.

Soldering is fun!
6sick6 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
Your the man. Thanks.
Do you think the car will fire by key once all this is properly connected? Any ideas why it did fire and now it does not?
Might be a few days before I get around to correcting the wires. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again for the help.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic