icon

jl w7's, which box should i go with?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deeryders 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2013 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 12inch w7's (pushed by a logic tx4000D with epicenter and clarion crossover)currently in a ported box stuffed with poly-filler. I am not sure what specs are. I have a 2009 Altima Sedan so I have fairly enough trunk space. I wanted to get a better frequency response from my subs, in other words I want to be able to get my subs to hit as low as possible. Someone suggested on building a bandpass enclosure. I know nothing about enclosures and was wondering if I can get some advice.
MECP Certified
Dont Ground Out!!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2013 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
W7s are outstanding woofers. JL Audio recommends using either 1.375 cuft sealed per woofer, or 1.75 cuft ported at 37Hz per woofer. I cannot recommend bandpass - turning those monsters into a one-note-wonder would be a shame.
Support the12volt.com
deeryders 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2013 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
So two individual boxes? You recommend just following what's on the manual. Anyway would it make a difference if I port the box in the back? I'm getting really bad trunk rattle even with 3 layers of dynamat and foam sealed trunk. What do you mean one note wonder?
MECP Certified
Dont Ground Out!!!
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2013 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
No, you don't have to use individual enclosures, although using a divider to create two separate chambers in one enclosure is ofter the easiest way to go about using two woofers if you don't have design software. A bandpass enclosure is called a one-note-wonder because 100% of the output is created by the port, so it produces a very narrow band of sound - AKA one note. This can work well for SPL competition but not always a good solution for listening to music. As far as your trunk rattling, that can requires a lot more than simply using Dynamat if you really want to stop it. Often only the careful use of welding torches can stop all the rattles. Or turn the volume down... :)
Support the12volt.com
deeryders 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2013 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
Nissan FTL. lol so based on everything I should build a ported box tuned down to 37hz. How do you feel about the port being on the back of the box?
MECP Certified
Dont Ground Out!!!
deeryders 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2013 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  

This is the box they are currently in ATREND ZV12D-BLACK

http://www.amazon.com/Atrend-Zv12D-Black-12-Inch-Chambered-Enclosure/dp/B0013MT604

MECP Certified
Dont Ground Out!!!
DYohn 
Posted: June 08, 2013 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
deeryders wrote:
Nissan FTL. lol so based on everything I should build a ported box tuned down to 37hz. How do you feel about the port being on the back of the box?
If it's in the trunk it doesn't really matter where the port is located. Just make sure there is plenty of room between the port and the nearest surface, say 2X the port diameter.
Support the12volt.com
deeryders 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2013 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

This is the box they are currently in ATREND ZV12D-BLACK

http://www.amazon.com/Atrend-Zv12D-Black-12-Inch-Chambered-Enclosure/dp/B0013MT604

MECP Certified
Dont Ground Out!!!
DYohn 
Posted: June 08, 2013 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Hard to say what vent frequency that port creates. It looks like about 2 cuft per chamber, but what are the dimensions of the port?
Support the12volt.com
deeryders 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2013 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
No one has proper dimensions I emailed the company. Will let you know when they get to me.
MECP Certified
Dont Ground Out!!!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic