icon

power distribution

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2014 at 3:51 AM / IP Logged  
PS - I wish that HID608 6" Round Internal Ballast HID Light had some specs. Tho I feel confident enough to assume the 50W ballast has 60W input, it'd be nice to know its minimum voltage - ie, 4.2A @ 14.4V; 4.8A @ 12.5V; 5.7A @ 10.5V; 7.5A @ 8V.
My 12V automotive 'equipment' design rules are 8-16V. If that HID608 has the same, then it's a 7.5A design (ie, 10A cable & fuse) rather than a 'typical' 5A design, tho IMO that'd be the same 10A circuit since I wouldn't bother with a 7.5A fuse etc.
However, since we all tend to overdesign - as well as keep to standard components (?), I think what I said before about 15A distribution for all the targets covers it.
ronemca 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2014 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah - that is strange. I had a fairly thorough search too with the same result. But if it originally came with papers (and I bet it fif) I will still have them, and I imagine the detailed info would be there.
< scuttles outside to the frozen truck >
It is actually not too bad here today; 0ºC at ATM, having climbed from -20ºC 48 hours ago.
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2014 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Geez - it's gonna be great to finally 'graduate' from my sandbox status so that I can edit my freakin' posts!! I'm usually pretty careful when I compose, but OLDSPARK is such an impatient old razorback - I feel pressured to get my response up in a hurry.
I guess that's understandable given his extremely advanced age. (Hell - I bet when he went to school they didn't even have history class!)
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2014 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Too right! I actually gave up waiting and went to bed.
You irresponsible arrogant youngies spending time with your games and looking for papers 'cos you're so disorgamised disorganised. Oh hang on - that's me - the latter bit anyway (ie, not the games bit (and not the youngies bit (physically at least))).
But you'll get a break in a few days when I'll be disappearing again. And now that the post-New Year daily routine has restarted I'll be on the PC less.
Anyhow, I was merely gonna comment on your sandbox status - but something distracted me...
YES - it is very annoying not being able to edit to destroy the evidences. I think 50 posts are required?
But a warning - you can only edit (or delete) if your post is still the last one.
If someone has post-posted (...?? ante posted, suffixedly posted?), then TOO LATE, your post is locked.
Yeah - this site is cruel - they expect you to live with your mistakes forever for all to see.
[ Actually I like that - PROVIDED readers know that the must look further to see if there were any corrections. IE - on other forums I may strike-thru or demark, but never delete - I'll add POST EDIT dd/mm/yy comments with the correction or link etc. Qualification - editorials may simply be fixed (eg, spelling & punctuation) with a "minor edits' comment.
Maybe you can tell that I'm into traceability, like facing errors, and hate pathetics covering their tracks. ]
PS - don't forget the "Preview Post".
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2014 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  
I stuck it on the brush guard for a quick test-fit. Mainly I wanted to position the bar clamps [that I bought separately for this project] but also to get a couple of pics to share with my eager followers.
power distribution - Page 10 -- posted image.
Next I'll temp-connect a cord and string it back thru the door frame to plug into the cig lighter so I can see how it throws in the dark. However, that adventure will have to wait, because I want to weatherproof the various threads before any of the components are allowed to remain on the truck for long. (it's friggin' snowing again, and forecast to dip from its current daytime 0ºC to daytime -15ºC in the next 36 hours with rain/sleet/snow).
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2014 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
Just a note about mounting...
During my search for this light bar, I did see some that had an extruded track along the back side...along which two (or sometimes three, if the housing was a long-ish one) stud-holders could slide.
That method of mounting would have been INFINITELY preferable to the one I ended up with. These stand-offs are really awkward, since I am mounting it on a tube as opposed to a flat[ter] surface.
Yes - I had to procure the pair of split-ring sleeve mounts, but that aspect is irrelevant. It just ends up being a lot of weight dangling out in space...relative to the attachment point. I therefore imagine it's gonna bounce a fair bit if the road is the least bit rough. And -- not surprisingly -- my vehicle rides like a truck. I don't mind it at all, but if it sets the light a-bouncing...well...We'll just have to see. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
That said, I do not expect to have it activated often, anyway. Next to the other lighting systems it will be pitiful, and may therefore be relegated to stationery working-out-in-front duty.
burntkat 
Copper - Posts: 143
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2014 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
I like the look, and have marked the vendor in caase it works out well for you.
I need to get my bumper and roo bar built... but it's not happening anytime soon- temps are getting down to 12 degrees tonight. That's quite unusual for us!
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. - Robert A. Heinlein"
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2014 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
It has been ridiculously frigid here for several days; daytime highs of -15C and overnight lows of around -20C. But the wind chill has been profound; in the region of minus 40C, all of which has handily prevented me from tinkering with wiring and tools outside!
Meanwhile I have the LED light bar temp-wired to a cig lighter socket plug - and my mounting mechanism is essentially ready to go - so I will try to get a couple of pics up this weekend...as it is supposed to climb close to zero deg. on the weekend.
burntkat 
Copper - Posts: 143
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2014 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Geeze, a little cold and he stops being productive. I thought you Canadians were a tough lot? ;)
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. - Robert A. Heinlein"
ronemca 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2014 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
Well! Dramatically better than I ever expected!!
I re-mounted the new LED Light bar to the brush guard again (properly this time - in a manner that could stay in place, should I decide to leave it to be exposed to the nasty rock salt etc.) and off I went to a dark stretch of road nearby. The first three pics are the LED light bar only. And then - when I was under the overpass, I shut down the LED bar & activated the HID headlights only just for comparison. I am IMPRESSED! 'Waay more throw than I thought I'd get. power distribution - Page 10 -- posted image. power distribution - Page 10 -- posted image.
Page of 13

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic