06 jeep liberty, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
roadglide2459 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2014 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
Hi All,
Have a question - my daughter has an 06 Jeep Liberty (with OEM alarm and keyless entry) and recently lost one of her keys. The dealer wants $225.00 for a new key and associated programming.
I was thinking of putting a remote start system in the vehicle (the Viper 5204v and idatalink bypass I put in my 03 GMC Sierra was less than $225.00), and using her “one” functional key in the bypass module (I believe that’s required for "keysense" type vehicles like the 06 Liberty’s) and then just having two regular keys made that would be used with the R/S key fobs.
Does anyone see any issues with this scenario and as important – can anyone recommend a good R/S & Alarm system for the Jeep Liberty.
Thanks in advance
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
autotamer 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

idata alca shouldnt require  a key , park lights i believ will need a resistor maybe i am mistaken   done a pile of em, a couple years back though i am not formilar with viper products go to i dat awebsite and enter year make model , and down load install guide   it should be self explainitory

roadglide2459 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2014 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Autotamer,
You're right - the idatalink does not require a permanent key (I just checked), although their programming instructions are not the best.
You wouldn't happen to have a R/S system you could recommend for this vehicle. I certainly want the door locks to function as well as the rear window release so you could open the tailgate.
My thought is to buy 2 conventional keys (i.e. no transponder chips)and have them cut appropriately and then use with the R/S - Entry key fobs.
Thanks for the reply.
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
autotamer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2014 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
I have no experiance with viper ,clifford,avital, python,scytek  so I  can speak of there qaultiy there are a ton of people who give the thumbs up to  all of them , i have installed  astrostarts ,compustars , omega excalibur ,. autostart ,audiovox , I personally love the astro start units for ease of programming and out of the hundreds of units ive installed 1 was found defective or at least the ground harness was defective anyway there are more affordable options , and im certain others will disagre here , that being said i have not installed enough of the other units to be comfortable with them .   for the record does your liberty have factory sentrykey with built in keyless transmitter  ? A grey oval key or ,black oval key ?  
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2014 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
i would use a Compustar Pro 1Way-G7 + idatalink blade. Only downside is you need an authorized dealer to program the blade for you, or buy an idata ads-alca and have that preflashed.
Install would take shy of 2.5h
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2014 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
OK, you've got a few different ways to handle this.
First, if you install a bypass module and remote starter in the regular, usual way, it will allow the remote starter to start the engine, but will NOT allow a non-chip hardware-store key to start the engine. Otherwise, anyone would be able to steal the car with a screwdriver and some know-how.
The above information applies regardless of whether it's a key-in-box style bypass, or a no-key-required kind.
That being said, you have a few options here that can keep your cost down somewhat, especially depending on how concerned you are about keeping the car secure.
1: Install a remote starter, and ALWAYS use the remote starter, every time you drive. You can make some $2 keys at Wal Mart or wherever. You only need the expensive chipped key during starting with the key.......you can remote-start and then take over and drive away with the non-chipped key.
Downside to this is that the aftermarket remote control is not a military-grade product. It'll work most of the time. And then eventually the remote's battery will die, or you'll get it wet at the beach or something.....and now you're stuck at the beach, waiting for a tow truck. Not good.
2: You could, as in #1 above, make some non-chipped keys, perform a remote starter installation.......but have the car's keysense wire also turn on the bypass module under the dash. Now, when you insert the key, the bypass module turns on, and then the car can start with the key. This is not hard to do.
However, you'll be basically permanently disabling your car's anti theft system. There are legal issues to this, as well as maybe some repercussions from your insurance company if the car is stolen and they find out what you did. So if you do that, do it at your own risk.
3: The Jeep dealer charging you $225 is because the remote-head key is very expensive. You don't need a remote-head key. You could get a regular, plain gray Chrysler Sentry Key, and install an aftermarket remote starter with its own lock/unlock buttons.
The key is still probably around $30-50 list price, plus anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 hour dealer labor for programming. But that's still less than $225.
Also be sure to call a few locksmiths. They may have a better price, and/or many of them are mobile and come to you. Even if the price is the same, the convenience may be worth it.
4: Want to do something really super simple? Does the car only have one main driver? Do it this way:
---Install a remote starter in the usual way, with some kind of no-key-required bypass. All your daughter really needs is a 1-button because of the remote-head key she already has.....but you could do remote start/keyless if you want.
---Go down to the hardware store and make a non-chipped key. Or a two of them maybe.
---Hang one of the aftermarket remotes on the keychain with your existing good Jeep key. This is what your daughter will use for everyday driving.
---Put a non-chipped key in your daughter's handbag, in case she locks her keys inside the car at the gas station. This key won't start the engine, but it will get her into the car, at least.
---Put your second remote-starter remote with another non-chipped key, and leave it in the house. This is your emergency, back-up method of driving the car.
You can remote-start the engine, use the key to unlock the door manually, insert it in the ignition and drive away.
Daughter is late for work and can't find her good keys? Daughter is away on vacation, her car is blocking your car in the driveway and you have to move it? Et cetera and so forth.
Basically, use this remote/key setup for occasional, emergency use. Just don't go driving the car to Florida or something and get the remote wet at Disney, and you'll be fine.
roadglide2459 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2014 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Chris,
You’re right – after some more research I realized that even with a R/S system a plain “dumb” key won’t start the engine so I think what I’ll do is follow your #3 recommendation and get two basic sentry keys off the web and hopefully the dealer won’t have a problem programming one and I can program the other since I would now have two working keys.
Do you have any suggestions regarding a remote start system. The Viper 5204V and idatalink ALCA were less than 200 bucks and works great on my truck – was thinking of something similar for the Jeep, especially since I am familiar with the install process of that system in a W2W config.
Thanks again for the reply.
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2014 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
you could install just the remote start bypass module and wire the trigger to a secret switch/push-button that you would have to press in order to start the car along with a basic unchipped key. if you use the original transponder key then you dont have to push the secret switch to start the car. for more security you could use a switch that also required a key of its own to activate the bypass module, this way a thief couldnt just find the switch and use it. and you could make as many copies as you want of either key. no actual remote start unit would be needed unless you just wanted it but you could still use this method as a fail safe incase your keypad died or breaks and it would be independent of the remote start unit.
autotamer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2014 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

idata programming is as easy as it gets , have it flashed d2d  (assuming the remote starter you choose  has data protocol) astromodels 711-5225 do that way there is minimal wiring front starter to by pass , plug and play for the most part ,use a blade module if doing a compustar. (nice clean install) then make connections of starter and bypass as indicated on install guide .

the  led on module will flash once for data right out of box , push the program button and hold it

it then turns solid green indiacting you have selected d2d format .

stick the key in ignition turn it to run , (not start) l ed will turn red and after a few seconds turn green ,

turn ign to off , remove key , it is now programmed !  make sure your starter is set for automatic trans , program tach and your golden,

adjust runtime if needed.  

roadglide2459 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2014 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
Good morning Autotamer,
Agree about the idatalink, though I went W2W with my GMC truck install and changing the mode was a bit tricky – actually had to start the car rather than just turn the ign key to run after selecting W2W – they don’t mention that in the install manual.
That said – would you have a install wiring guide for an 06 liberty with factory anti-theft?
Thanks again,
-Rick
RoadGlide2459
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic