icon

Sub Wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ejpristia 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2003 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  
If I have a mono amp and want to run a single sub off of it; would it be better to get a 4 ohm sub or 2 ohm sub?
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2003 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
We need to know the model of the amp in order to tell you how many ohms the sub should be, and how to wire it. And is the sub DVC or SVC (dual voice coil or single voice coil)
ejpristia 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2003 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know what amp I am going to use, but I want to hook it up in 2 ohm. The sub is a dual voice coil. I also need to know how to wire up the sub.
luxuryrules 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2003 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

What kind of sub, and do you know the resistance?  If it's 4 Ohms per coil, we can tell you how to wire it at 2 Ohms.

Start another thread asking for reccos on what kind of amp to use.  I personally am biased towards Alpine and Lanzar, but the other guys on these boards are professionals and you'll want to see what they have to say.  Depending on what kind of sub you have and what the resistance is rated at, you'll be looking at either a 2 channel (one channel for each voice coil) or a mono (one channel with both coils in parallel).

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2003 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, you said you are getting a mono amp (that will be 2ohm stable) and the sub will be a DVC. Regardless of the manufacturer, to run a single DVC in 2ohms you will want to get a 4ohm DVC sub and wire it in parallel.
Sub Wiring - Last Post -- posted image.
Also, make sure when choosing an amp and sub to match the RMS ratings. With DVC's, make sure you are matching the total RMS rating of the sub, not just each voice coil. In your case, make sure to match the RMS ratings at 2ohms, since that's what you are planning at running at.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic