icon

Two 8 subs vs one 10 or 12

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
awd_sr 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2002 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

will I be able to get the same bass I have now with a 10" sub by using two 8" subs?  or even one really good 8" sub?  I just want a nice bottom end inside the vehicle, I'm not worried about rattling the neighborhood, and I want to conserve space in the back of my cargo area in a Cherokee.

I have a 10" Kicker, errrrr, I mean Pyle with a Kicker dustcap on it, I got screwed big time.  I have a MTX Thunder Amp bridged to one channel pushing it, I'll post the model # later.

If 8's will do, what are a good brand that requires low volume, but will deliver the goods?  Thanks again

awd_sr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2002 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  

when I say volume, I mean cubic feet of enclosure, not sound volume

and can anyone recommend a good 10" or 12" sub that requires low volume while delivering a punch?  THanks again

subsonic 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2002 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, you should check out www.crutchfield.com. They have a component subwoofer section with subs from 6.5" to 15 inch and they have a wide variety.  Hope this is helpful. And if you buy an order of $250 of more and you mention me then you get $25 off and I do too. So if you buy something(s) that equall to $250 or more then put this on your order form in the "special messages" box: (my id #) RA752     21201154  ok   thanks and I hope you find a woofer to fit your needs.
subsonic
subsonic 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2002 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
and they give enclosure volumes w/ the woofer so you don't have to calculate it on your own.
subsonic
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2002 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
for small space and good impact, look at the Stillwater Kicker Solobarics. Their original design was for just that application. low volume enclosures (sealed) and hard-hitting subs.
To get a rough idea for comparing sub sizes, using basic geometry, figure (pi*r(squared) the surface area of each sub, then multiply by the number desired. so figure total surface area for subs used. this, combined with total driver excursion, will give ya a pretty good idea for how much air the subs will move. Also remember, power used to drive them factors in as does enclosure design. Subs have static statistics for things like Fs. VAS, elec Q and mech Q, and so forth which determine the type of enclosure for which they are designed. Some are made for a sealed box, some for ported or bandpass. Make sure you build the right box for your sub!
Also remember, the smaller the sub(s) the tighter, and "faster" your bass will be (more responsive). The larger the sub, the more deep resonance you'll get.
small subs, 10" and smaller, give a lot of snappy punchy bass. large subs, 12"+ yield that ground-shaking, deep rumble sort of bass you can feel in your shoes. Each has it's place. The type of enclusure will play a factor in response too, as will sub positioning. subs close to you, facing you, like behind the seats of a pickup truck, are very snappy. facing the subs toward the back of a hatch and letting the waves reflect off of the tailgate then come forward produce more resonance, by giving the signal more time to mature a full bass-wave (a 12" sub requires about 8 *feet* to mature a full wave. that's a lot of distance, thus facing a 12" backward helps. Otherwise, the guy a car or two ahead of you hears really nice bass! heh)
good luck. I hope some of my gained wisdom helps.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi
awd_sr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2002 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  

thank you both for your insight.

I'm a regular crutchfield customer, thats where I get all my alarms from and alot of  my stereo goods.

I think I do want punchier bass, but then again I like it dep as well...decisions, decisions...  I'll look through the catalog tonite to see what I'll go with

Also, my Amp puts out more power into 2ohms, so I'm gonna go with a 2ohm woofer

Thanks again guys

GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2002 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
well.. for deep, tightly controlled, quick responsive bass, go with a sealed box, make it "roomy" (1.5cu ft per sub for 10", 2 cu ft per sub for 12") and use polyfill too. design the box well. angle the side opposing the sub(s) to avoid wave cencellation which KILLS a sub's sound. Harmonics are a nightmare.
Anyway, also consider an Isobaric design which uses more power, but hits hard as balls for the effort it costs in design. (design is critical for isobaric/bandpass)
In this case, go with two 2-ohm subs, or 4 4-ohm subs.. etc.. just use Ohms Law, and calculate your lowest stable load for the amp, and then get speakers that will yield this load. example: an Orion 225HCCA can handle a stable half-ohm stereo load. most amps go down to 2 ohms stable.
find out what yours does. get subs to match that.
-GlassWolf
awd_sr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2002 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

thanks GlassWolf

I need to check my Amp specs again.  I know its stable at 2 ohms into 2 channels, but I'm not sure about bridged.  One sub is gonna do it for me, that will give me that good balance between cargo room and low end on my tunes.

If I told you the type of sub I wanted, and sent you a design for the box, would you be able to "critique" it for me?

Thanks again for the insight, and take it eZ

Tony

GlassWolf 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2002 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
yeah I could always take a glance at it, sure.
-GlassWolf
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2002 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

Post your ideas here, there are quite a few talented and educated people here that can help! GlassWolf is right on with his advice, except for one thing (imho) which is the isobaric loading. check this out for more info on that: http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/isobarik/index.html

I have to say that I've heard a few 8" JL's that just killed in really small enclosures. I'm still trying to decide what I'll use in my own truck, but If I opt out of the bed blow through, It'll be two eight's behind the seat. Good luck with whatever you do!

/NyxBass
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic