Please Help Me!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BigJMan 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2003 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  

Hi everyone,

I currently own a '92 Towncar, and as of right now I'm trying to get some real bass to even out my stereo system.  It's a long history, but the short version is I bought a Rockford Fosgate amp that pushed 75w rms x 2 @ 4ohms and 2 R.F. 12" Subs that were 150w RMS each. Needless to say, I wasn't satisfied, so I got another amp - a Profile Clarus CL600, which pushed 150w RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms. My bass got twice as loud and I was happy. Recently, I've decided to upgrade to a Audiobahn A1500HCT, which being a monoblock amp, does 500w RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms, 1000w RMS x 1 @ 2ohms, and 2000w RMS x 1 @ 1ohm!. I decided to take a chance and get top of the line Mobile Authority 12" Subs, each rated w/ 4 ohm impedance and 500w RMS power cosumption. I have them wired correctly so my amp sees a 2 ohm load, so they should be getting 1000w RMS right?

My problem is that when I have these hooked up, with all setting on amp and headunit dialed in, they're not even quite as loud as my 150w Rockfords - how can this be? I know the amp is drawing power because everytime it hits it pulls so much power that all my light in my Towncar dim a significant amount. What the f**k am I doing wrong? The amp is a brand new 2003 model with flames, straight from Audiobahn, I used to have a A1500HCX, but that one was defective. I'm using 12 gauge wire with the speaker connection inside the box, I've resealed the inside of the box with liquid nails, and as far as I know have a real quality setup.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be wrong (w/ my electrical system or setup - whatever) ?

1992 Lincoln Towncar Cartier
4.6L SOHC Dual Exhaust
Stereo System - Working On It :)
luxuryrules 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2003 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
That is a fine piece of machinery you have there.  I have an 87 Cartier and I love it.
Anyhoo, this sounds like you might have accidently wired it to 8 Ohms.  Make sure you have both pos sub wires going into the pos terminal and both neg into the neg terminal (2 wires to one terminal).  If you have the neg from one of the subs going to the pos of the other, that's a series connection and that would be your problem.
My next theory is simply the hardware.  You have RF to begin with, which has a great reputation for great equipment.  That and I really like the way they sound.  And now you're running Mobile Authority?  Granted, I can't say anything about the company because I have not heard their stuff, however it sounds to me like MA is in the same league as Pyramid and Legacy (If I'm wrong on that one, somebody step in and let me know).  Just becuase it's a lot of power does not mean it's good sound.  Point in reference, I have heard pair of 12" Legacy subs pushed by 800w rms each, and they didn't sound as good as my 12" JBL pushed by 200w rms each.
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.
BigJMan 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2003 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
I think I agree that the Mobile Authority's are crap, the brand doesn't even exist under carreview.com, and almost every other brand I have ever heard of does. My next step is definitely going to be upgrading my electrical and getting a respectable brand of subs (like Audiobahn) - thanks for the input.
4.6L SOHC Dual Exhaust
BigJMan 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2003 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
By the way, I do have it wired right, I asked my elder father to take a look, who, being an electrical engineer, said "I dunno, it's wired correctly - must be something else." Doesn't hurt to doublecheck though, I've messed up before.
4.6L SOHC Dual Exhaust
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2003 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like you don’t have the subsonic filter set correctly. I can’t remember if you can turn it off on that model or not. If you can turn it off do so, if not set it as high as possible I believe its 45 Hz on that model. Also set the low pass x over to 80 Hz. Post your results.
polluted24 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2003 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

I would say your problem has nothing to do with the wiring, but with the brand. . .

I decided to run an eBay pricecheck.. and I found 2 12" loaded in an enclosure all for just $50..

cavyman 
Copper - Posts: 88
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2003 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
I would definitely go with a different sub.  Maybe try the 12" RF Power HX2 sub(s).  RF always put out nice subs and amps along with their great speakers.  I am a huge RF fan. 
1 plus 1 equals 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic