the12volt.com spacer
icon

1997 GMC Sierra, Door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fplasma@live.ca 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2023 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fplasma@live.ca
Hello, I am just wondering if anyone can help me out tying my electric door locks into my starter/alarm. I have searched the 12 wiring diagrams as well as other people who have had questions/issues with the same problem. On the 12 volt install wiring diagrams it says to use light blue and white for lock and unlock, I have located those wires near my drivers kick panel but they do not activate my locks, when I test them it appears the light blue wire goes to my right rear speaker and the white wire goes to my brake relay in the engine bay. Upon further searching on the 12 volt and online I have seen a few people say that it is a tan and gray wire for lock and unlock (I may have them wrong as far as lock and unlock but it does list those color's) however I can not locate those wire color's in drivers kick panel. Somewhere else I saw someone listing black/red and gray but I also can not locate those wires either. I am just wondering if anyone can help steer me in the right direction, I have the install mostly completed but would like to get the locks working properly. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2023 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Looks like some additional testing is in order.
The truck can either have Type A or Type C door locks. If the truck came from the factory with OEM Keyless entry it should have Type A (+) door locks. If it did not come with factory keyless entry FOB's, then it's Type C (5 wire REV).
Here is a link to the DEI Door Lock system guide : https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=708
It will explain the differences, how to test and determine which type of locks you have and the necessary wiring. Your best bet is to obtain a DEI 451M door lock module. It will change the R/S systems (-) Lock outputs to a (+) for Type A locks and also handle Type C locks if needed. Here is a link to the 451M install guide :    https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=726
The 451M module can be found at various on-line sellers for under $20. If you like to solder, you can get two 30/40 Amp SPDT relays with the 5 wire harness and a 15 Amp fuse holder assy and make your own 451M for a little less.
Here is the info on the lock wires you are looking for :
Lock     L BLUE     in DRIVER KICK PANEL
Unlock     WHITE     in Drivers Kick PANEL
Soldering is fun!
fplasma@live.ca 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2023 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fplasma@live.ca
Thank you very much. It was a type C, I hooked up a couple relays got got everything working.   Thx again.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2023 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Good news. Thanks for the update!
Soldering is fun!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic