icon

Question on amps, if anyone can help?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheMadScientist 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
I am buying a (2) 12" Kciker Solo-Baric L5 and a JBL BP1200.1 to power the subs.The questions are does this amp have a crossover thing were I can allow on bass threw the sub? Also, I was needing (4) 6x9's to replace my factory speakers and an amp to run those,but the amp has to have the crossover thing so I can cut off the low stuff so all the bass goes to my subs.If anyone had any suggestions please feel free to help.Also, the reason why I need the crossovers is because I have blown many speakers in the past because bass has come in at the wrong time while I forget I have the speakers cranked up.
ghs_wreslter189 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2003 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
yes most every amp will have the crossovers you need.  a mono amp will already be a low-pass and a multi-channel amp should have high, low, and off.
--Adam
thomasbutler 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  
The Jbl 1200.1 does not have an actual cross over switch.  It has a crossover adjuster like low pass and gain.  And it is hard to tell where half power is on the all of the settings.  It does has hi pass connections also.
TheMadScientist 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, so if I get the JBL 1200.1 what setting would I place the stuff at so that I get my low's through my subs because that is all that I want coming trhough my subs.Also, can you recommend a good amp for (4) 6x9's that will run about 150x4 at 4 ohms, and have the a good crossover in it to filter out the bass.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  

Just to clarify a couple of things.  First, the BP1200.1 has two sets of RCA inputs so that you can get bass even if you have your head unit faded to the front or to the rear.  If you always keep the fade in the middle though then you can hook up only one set of the RCAs and it will sound the same.

The amp has 3 dials for adjusting stuff:  input level ("gain") adjustment, bass boost adjustment, and low-pass filter frequency adjustment.  The LPF can be set as low as 32 Hz or as high as 320 Hz, and you will need to play around with it a bit to see what sounds best in your vehicle.

This amplifier does NOT have preamp outputs, so if you're going to be using a 4-channel amplifier in addition to the JBL amp you'll either need a 4-channel amp that has preamp outputs, or a head unit with 3 sets of preamp outputs (front, rear, sub).  If the head unit only has one set of outputs then you'll be better off using a crossover to direct the appropriate frequencies to the appropriate amplifier.  This also applies if you have a factory head unit and will be using a line output converter to get a single set of RCA outputs.

Technically the BP1200.1 can use high-level inputs and you could send the RCAs from the head unit to the 4-channel amplifier, but I always recommend using RCA type connections whenever possible, to give you the best sound quality and the highest S/N ratio.  What kind of head unit is in the vehicle right now?

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
TheMadScientist 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, thanks esmith. My deck has three sets of output's so i'm okay in that deparment,but say that I do get me a four channel amp to run my front and rear speakers that puts out about 150x4 at 4ohms and still use my JBL BP1200.1 for my subs. The Question is will I need a capacitor or anything or do you think that I will fine in the area.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

150 watts per channel @  4 ohms RMS??????  That is a LOT of power you're talking about and I honestly don't know of any amps out there that will give you 150 watts RMS per channel when they're run at just 4 ohms.  A lot of them will do it at 2 ohms but not 4.

anyways, I saw from another post that your vehicle is a ford truck.  I'm pretty sure they have fairly large alternators in them so you might be okay as is. I'd say first try out the system and see how it sounds and see whether or not your lights dim at all with the system turned up, especially during a long loud bass note.

If the lights dim at the very beginning of the note but return to their original brightness before the note has ended, a capacitor would probably work pretty well for your situation.  It would mean that your alternator is capable of producing the required amount of current, but it's just slow to react to the additional demand.  The capacitor would provide energy to the amplifier during the split second that it takes for the alternator to react.  Make sure you try this test both with the truck parked/idling, and when you're out on the highway, just for comparison sake.

However, if during that long bass note your lights dim and stay dim until after the note is over, then most likely a high output alternator is a better way to go.  A capacitor would just make the alternator work harder and over time this can possibly lead to premature alternator failure.

Admittedly HO alternators are always gonna be better solutions than capacitors in either of the two above scenarios, but they are also much more expensive solutions and are not necessary for every vehicle.

And obviously if your lights don't dim at all even without a capacitor or HO alternator, then you don't need even need to do anything to it!Question on amps, if anyone can help? -- posted image.

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2003 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of 6X9's do you have that take that much power?? Have seen some amps that are 100X4 but gonna cost you some major bucks. With them being in a truck you really wont have a need for fading from front to rear i wouldn't think so you could always find a 2 channel amp that could give you that much power and just wire your door speakers into the rear ones. Just a thought.
TheMadScientist 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  
I don't have any 6x9's picked out yet I was just estimateing the power range of them,but I estimated wrong. I was just trying to figure out if I need a cpacitor while I found a good deal on one that's all.Maybe somewhere around 70-100 at 4 ohms with my JBL BP1200.1. Will I need a capacitor then?
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2003 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  

This was for a 97 F-150 right?? If thats right then you cant use 6X9's anyway, you will be using either 6X8's or 5X7's. An amp that i have ordered recently and am awaiting it to be shipped is this one from Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-m7imu7zfJ66/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=235USB4085&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y.

It is an 85X4 and by the specs is a real good, clean amp.

I am curious how you are going to install your 2 12's cause my wife drives the same truck. Are you going to take out the back seat??

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic