icon

Keyless Entry on 96 Crown Vic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
VicVicious 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2002 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

My Crown Vic has reverse polarity ground at rest for it didnt have keyless entry already installed. I figured I needed 2 separate relays for lock and unlock, but I have one of those modules that has a built in  relay(s) and Im guessing its 2 relays in there cause all the wires are comming out the other end like its already wired up and all you need to do is make the connections. Everytime I arm I blow the fuseKeyless Entry on 96 Crown Vic - Last Post -- posted image. I tried 15, 20, 25 fuses.  And it is wired according...

-->coming from lock relay

87a to the switched side of the lock wire

30 other half of lock wire

87 to 12 volt constant is bridged from lock and unlock relay and going to one fuse bus

-->coming from unlock relay

87a to switched side of the unlock wire

30 to other half of unlock wire

--->87a and 30 are --x cut x-- on both lock and unlock so im not getting why it isnt working??

Its a Directed 451M Micro Door Lock Relay Module

Thanks for Your Time and Help

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2002 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

Hi VicVicious, make sure you do not have the switch side and the motor side of the lock and unlock wires reversed. What you described above is correct and will work, but if you have the switch side of the lock wire going to 30 instead of 87a and the motor side of the lock wire going to 87a instead of 30, you'll blow a fuse everytime. The same applies to the unlock wire. Double check your connections and if you still can not get it to work with the door lock module you're using, I'd suggest just using two relays instead as shown below.

Keyless Entry on 96 Crown Vic - Last Post -- posted image.

Let us know how you make out.

the12volt

VicVicious 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2002 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks 12volt but do you think I should be using this setup???

Keyless Entry on 96 Crown Vic - Last Post -- posted image.

Granted that I have reverse polarity, but the module does'nt have a wire for ground so I would have to run separate relays.  And another question have you ever wired up a ex-police car??  Most police cars are set up so the dome light doesnt come on when the doors are opened, but all of my doors set off the alarm except the drivers doorKeyless Entry on 96 Crown Vic - Last Post -- posted image.  I tried testing for wires with 12 volts when the door is opened and grounded when closed, but I have had no luck.  So im open to any ideas that I can try.

Thanks

install_tech 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2002 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

Hello VicVicious,

Use the diagram that the 12volt posted above.

The diagram that you are currently using is for vehicles without power locks that need door lock actuators installed.

Hope this helps.

install_tech
VicVicious 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2002 at 6:39 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks install_tech...

Thats the one Im using (the one 12volt posted) but it continues to blow, so I guess ill just have to wire up my own relays.

Thanks All

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 02, 2002 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

Where are you getting the lock/unlock wires?

I've been getting them where they come in from the driver's door and go upward into a harness.  You have to remove the hood-release handle, and then the insulation material to access.  There's almost no slack in the wire, just enough to reach in there and catch it with a butt connector---soldering is not an option in there.

Perhaps you are interfacing with the wrong wires.  Or maybe you've found the wires in an easier spot than I could, which I'd love to hear about.

VicVicious 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2002 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  

I pulled mine from the pass. kick panel.  Its in the top group of wires and  goes upward just as the one you speak of, but it may be easier for the simple fact that there is no steering wheel in the way.  There is not much slack in that location either, but I removed the glove box and it made the connection easier and I was able to solder.  I know I have the correct wires for when I cut them I disabled the locks...... Pink/L Green and Pink / YELLOW.  I have not  wired up my own relays as of cause works been keeping me busy, but since tomorrow is the 4th I'll throw them in in the morning and let everyone know how it went.

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2002 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
hello vicvicious that module will work with a reversed polarity system you are right it is two relays in one box.There is no need to wire in two relays because all you need is the 451 m.On the back of the module it should say what pins those wires go to.  it will work..And if you follow what 12 volt said that module will work if you continue blowing fuses you should check the switch wires you cut to see if you wired them oposite of what 12 volt told you. But basically what im saying is that that module will work with those door locks and wiring two seperate relays will be a waste of time being you already have them in one unit (the451m). good luckKeyless Entry on 96 Crown Vic - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic