icon

Blown sub Question.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thomasbutler 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2003 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
This is like the 3rd or 4th sub I have blown in 2 months.  They are 3 Kicker cvr DVC 15's and 1 MA audio 150xe 15".  At first I thought it was the box so I got a better box that closer fit he speaker specs.  But recently I blew another one.  But I only had them wired in series and they were not bridged on my JBL 1200.1.  I had the amp on about half power.  The thing is evry time I blow a sub only one blows and the other is fine what could be the problem I checked all my conection and they are fine.  Just please dont say its the amp I have 2 of them that I want to put in a show with 4 L7's.  Please help me out.
iaudio 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2003 at 5:43 AM / IP Logged  

Why did the subs blow? mechanical stress (bottomed out voice coil, surround or spiders damaged?) or electrical (smells burnt).

What size enclosures did you have? what was the impedance of the subs?

thomasbutler 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2003 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
the subs were to hot and the inside of them burned.
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2003 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
Where all these subs in a single enclosure with a divider? Because if so you are asking for trouble. And also it sounds like you were mismatching brands to the same amp which again shouldn't be done.
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2003 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
yeah I agree.  You definately don't want to mismatch sub brands.  I've worked on a car that had two MTX's and one Bazooka and one of the MTX's would always blow. 
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2003 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
So let me reword mine.... little too early in the morning i stuffed up. If they were in a single enclosure WITHOUT a divider i meant to say.
thomasbutler 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2003 at 1:17 AM / IP Logged  

No this was on two separate occasions.  I had 2 Ma audio 150xe 115's on one of my JBL amps after I blew one of them I mmoved up to the kicker cvr 15's and I just recently blew one of them.  The were in a wedge box with a divider.

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2003 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  
What is the ohm load of your sub?  Is it a the 2ohm or 4ohm voice coil model?  Just from what you have said it looks like the subs are being over powered.  Kickers are good speakers but with the introduction of the older L5 and the newest L7 series the comp and cvr series has declined considerably in quality. 
nedgeworth 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2003 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Also how do you have the speakers wired upto ur amp?
thomasbutler 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2003 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  

they are the 4 ohm model kicker cvr 15's they are rated 500 rms 1000 peak.  I had them wired in series.  And on my amp ythe was not bridged one speaker per channel.  The inside of only one of them was burnt i can hear something inside rattling when i shake it or try to play it the other 15 is fine  but only one blew.  box has a divider.  Dont know what it is help me out guys.  The amp was only half way up also.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic