icon

MTX Thunder 8000’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
HumbleI 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
and heres the other question, should I just buy a prefab??? the guy who wants to install my system ( for near 1300... ripoff??) wants to build a box for like 230 but they have individual enclosures within the one enclosure..... would a prefab box work aright or should I spend the extra cash for something that is fitted to the 1-2 cu. ft. these subs need each.... or shoudl I look for a prefab that has the same measurements?? do prefab boxes have the divider int the middle so you dont blow the ohter sib if one goes?? thanks!!! Selah
Twingo 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
don't buy a prefab carpet is cheap and you only need about $30 worth of mdf to make one.  The price for the box is a huge ripoff.  Just make your own or find someone with a good knowledge of this stuff or even just woodworking to make it.
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
how woudl they calculate the cu. ft. and things like tht??? I know someone who can build it but Im not sure if they know how...what instructions should I give them??
Twingo 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  

if this is for 2 subs, just go down to your local shop and take along a measuring tape, tell them you're making sure something like that can fit in your trunk or something, then ask your friend to make something with the same dimensions.  Be sure to have him place a board between the subs if the one you're looking at doesn't have one.  in all reality it won't really be necessary to have the middle divide if you figure out the sub is blown first.  If one goes you'll notice right away.

HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
I got someone , he is actuaaly the person I bought the system from, hes goin to do it tomorrow... Ill post some picks if its aright...... thanks for all the help..... peace love and guidance
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 6:25 AM / IP Logged  
i'm running righ tnow a pair of MTX T8124a's running off my x-celon 401 amp in the back of my 1995 neon, i put them in a 2 cu/ft x to start with and they give really punchy and solid bass, i did sacrifice some spl (only 140.2 on the dash)  while befor when i had my 1992 cavalier i was running a single mtx 12" 8000 in a 1.25 cu/ft box off my x-celon 301 amp and i was hitting 140.4 dbs on the dash, so with that my 2 cent's here, if you would like a good punchy but still solid bass put the 8000's in a 2 cu/ft box and if ya want spl, go 1.25 cu/ft + ,  i do have pics that i will be posting at some later point in life :)
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
I wound up putting both 8000's and one 6000 in a box that was fit for them... it hits HARD almost reckin my car... lol any advice to stop some rattling?? I was PISSED today, cuz it was madd hott over here in NY and my car overheated and I had to drive it to a mech shop I think the head gasket went.... that blows... ayeeeeee so I just put the sh*t in today but I have to wait to use it now... :( but itll be aright... everythings straight... thanks for the advice everyone...
Twingo 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
very nice, how much did the box cost you?  i bet it was way cheaper than getting a prefab.  anyway, to stop rattles you can go through your car with the stereo on and put your hand on a bunch of surfaces, if the rattle stops or quiets, bingo!  All you need to do from there is tighten screws or bolts, and if that doesn't do it put dynamat on the back of it or fill it with foam, the other route you could go is to take the offending part off all together
HumbleI 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
haha now thers an idea!!!! the box... nada zip zilch... the kid I bought it from sold me the 4 twelves.... with boxes... one was in a single and the other 3 were in a triple... it would nt fit in my trunk... bt he had a three sided one it was like \_/ <-- that.... so I have them on there... I have one 6000 in the middle, and the two 8000's on the sides... the kid just traded boxes with me cuz he built them... it was mad easy to do, no that Ive seen this whole install done, I am amazed absolutley baffled at how somone charges you 1275 to put that sh*t in... its crazy!!! all I got to do is get some sealant for the subs... any particular brands that work better??? I dont need liquid nails cuz that stuff doesnt come off just like window selant or somehting to seal a little place on the side of one of the ports where air is coming out... there is two center dividers so they still hit hardddddddd..... damn near rattled my car to sh*t lol... but its aiight, Ill do what you said and run my hand through and check it out... I gotta wait for it to come out the shop though cuz I think I blew a head gasket today with the keat and all that... the thing was runnning at lik 200+ degrees so thats not good.. makin funny noises and all of that... ayeeee what a headache... buy the car thursday.. breaks down wed. lol but its aiight... Im happy I got the system in before the end of august.... niceeeeeee..... what kind of foam woul you suggest like the pour foam??? how would that stop rattles??? or do you mean like sponge foam... Ill work it out... I didnt get alot of time with the system in (20 mins) before the thing overheated today so Ill dothis when I get it back... Ill post some pics when I get it back also so you can see the install... aright... bless!! ahh and is ther any advice on how to make the license place stop rattling?? just a piece of foam or cloth??? thanks much!! - Selah
Twingo 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2003 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

to sto the liscence from rattling all you have to do is put some foam tape on the back,mit's really not hard, or you can go to any place that sell dynamat ( a brand of sound deadening material ), and find out if they have this cool thing i bought that you put on your liscence plate that stop all the rattles.  The foam i was talking about is the expanding kind that you pour into your trunk.  One ofthe added benefits of this is also that if you let it expand out and keep adding little bits more, when it's all dry you can cut patterns and shapes into it and cover it with carpet or fiberglass or whatever.  And the last question you had.........the foam stops sound and rattles like this.  The foam captures air in all the little pockets it makes when it expands.  Dead air kills sound, aka rattles.  Also, if you have ever noticed how a rattle will stop if you simply put a tiny pit of weight or pressure on it?  When the foam expands and hardens it puts some pressure on what it's touching further decreasing rattles.

I know what you maean when you say it's rediculous how someone can charge huge amounts of money for simple stuff.  I used to buy all my stuff until about 8 years ago i found out what a sheet of mdf costs and the carpet that goes on it.  It like if I make a box for a guy and i charge $100 for it, then i can make 3 mor boxes off of the one guy, doing the math........you kinda see why some people will charge so much.  Onje guy can pay for every one elses intall for like a month.  Hope you like the subs, looking foward to the pics.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic