icon

crazy custom install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheevesLLC 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

i'm trying to build a crazy tri-chamber enclosure with a 10", a 12", and a 15" subwoofer, 1800w, 1800w, and 2000w respectively.  should i put each subwoofer on it's own correspondingly powerful amp, or should i just put them all on one huge amp?  i  know i won't be able to hear much of the 12 or likely any of the 10 over the 15, but i'm just going for seriously powerful bass, and showy looks.  each subwoofer will have it's own enclosure, so frequencies won't interfere.  i plan on using an isolator, and one or two additional batteries for the system.  i'm not very experienced building high power systems, but i want to do it all right.  should i ground all my devices to a distribution block, with one huge ground? or should they all ground separately?

i guess i have too many questions to post, but if anybody cares to offer some advice it would be well received (-;

thanks,

connor

bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2003 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
If you plan on giving each of them their full power rating I'd probably go with a separate amp for each, but you could also use a high power 2-channel for your 10 and 12 and then give the 15 its own amp.  I'm assuming that you've given the peak power ratings?
JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
personal note learnt through experience...mixing sub sizes does not sound great,,,at certain notes they will cancel eachother out...
wizzle 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  

i agree with JamesRh.  do a tri chamber enclosure with either 2 15's and a 10 or 1 15 and 2 10's.  A 15 is to close in size to a twelve, and the will cancel and muddle the sound.  same comparison to a 12 and a 10.  with 15's and 10's they are far enough apart in surface are for the sound not to cancel or muddle, and will give kick arse lows, and a nice tight sounding bass.  Run seperate amps to the different speakers sizes for ease of crossing them over.  Don't want all you speakers trying to play the same sound if they are different sizes.

Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2003 at 5:43 AM / IP Logged  
Stick to one size subwoofer, you wont regret it.
TheevesLLC 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

hehe, believe me i've had all sorts of setups, from two 8s, two 10s, two 12s, two 15s, one 15, one 12, three 6s... i'm lookin for something innovative, and something that looks cool

yes, those are peak power ratings.

i could see the problem with a 10 and 12 being too similar, and a 12 and 15, but with a correctly tuned 3way crossover, shouldn't i be able to keep frequency overlapping from happening?  i know it probably won't be easy, but i'm looking for some trophies heh \-;

JamesRH 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
hmm....making a good crossover system would work....will take a lot of time and effort setting it up and tuning it,,,,but it could work...i wish you all the luck. It will be easiest to use sealed boxes, that way you wont have to worry about tuning all the ports as well....If you are for real and do it properly it would be a sick system!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic