icon

speaker box pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  

hey, i have a 1976 chevy silverado fullsize single cab p/u.  right now i have a bench seat.  i plan on getting 2 bucket seats.  i wanna build a sub box that has a wedge box behind the seats and has a part of the box coming up like a console.  i made a couple rough sketches of what it will look like.  i want to get either two 12s or two 10s.  the subs will be facing down in the console, with plexiglass for to make it look good.  i might do with out the plexiglass, not sure yet.  anyways, what subs would you guys recommend?  i was thinking maybe JL 12w7 or w6v2, but im not sure.  any ideas or comments greatly appreciated.  thank you.

speaker box pics -- posted image.

si90lude 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
if you are dead set on the box design and size, the first step is to calculate your enclosure volume and purchase a woofer thet will accomidate the box. If you are somewhat flexible with dimensions on your enclosure get the subs you want. "check out alpine R series, great price for a great sub.
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

i used the volume calculator, and i would have just shy of 5 feet.  i dont care about price, i get most stuff at cost so it doesnt matter. i want the best subwoofer that will give me the boom and will be good with the volume of the box.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Actually I get about 3.87 cuft with your enclosure design.  Do you intend it to be sealed, ported, bandpass, what?  Where do you plan to mount the driver?
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  

i get 4.43 cuft.  with 3/4 thick wood.  can you double check?  anyways the driver will be firing down in the cosole part of the box.  i put a picture here, but sometimes they dont work.  so i tried to explain somewhat above.

speaker box pics -- posted image.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

What you have drawn is basically three shapes put together.  Using 3/4" MDF, your gross internal volume would be:

15 x 13 x 24 cube = 2.02148 cuft

15 x 13 x 3 triangle = 0.06738 cuft

62 x 16 x 7 x 4 trapezoid = 1.78121 cuft

Total = 3.87007 cuft.  If you plan to mount a woofer down firing under the plexiglass, then the dimensions above are incorrect, as there will have to be another piece of MDF inside the enclosure to mount the driver on, and you are actually then building a band-pass enclosure.  Where are your ports?  The shape you have drawn will probably not result in very good sound as a bandpass, as your tuning frequency would end up somewhere around  70 hz.  Plus not only would it be difficult if not impossible to find a speaker that would work well in such an enclosure, finding one that would also handle being mounted down-firing is more difficult yet.  If you can find a driver that would work in this, I do not envy you the problems you will have with this enclosure; not only getting it put together in the first place but the required internal bracing will be a b**tch.

Regardless, nothing you do with this shape would work very well with a JL 12W7 as I believe that driver works best in a 1.8 to 2.0 cuft sealed enclosure.

If you are locked in to this geometry, your best bet might be to abandon the idea of having a down-firing driver under your plexiglass window, make the front piece a little wider so you can mount a 12" Eclipse Titanium facing the front, and put ports in the top of the back area.  Eclipse Titanium 12" will function pretty well in a 4.0 cuft ported enclosure.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

How much room is their between the bottom of the plexi consul (where you show the subs mounted) and what ever is below it? But before designing a box I would fist suggest you find a woofer(s) so you calculate / build the appropriate enclosure.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with bberman1, find yourself a good woofer and build your box according to it's needs, Someone up there mentioned Eclipsespeaker box pics -- posted image., now that's a nasty high output subwoofer that works in a nice small easy to build sealed box. It would probably outdue your basspectations, even though it is only 1 speaker.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with them, an eclipse titanium will rock you.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2003 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

DYohn,

i know that you are far more experience with this stuff than i am.  but i still think that you are incorrect on the volume of the wedge section of the box.  if you look on the volume calculator,  the box is laying in a different position as my proposed box.  on the volume calc.  the parallel sides of the box are vertical, and on my box they are horizontal.  you needed to imagine my box laying with the parallel sides vertical, and then plug in the values.  thats how i got 2.41142 cuft for the wegde portion of the box.  i can see where you made your mistake.  they way it should be is:  width - 62",  Height 1 - 7"   , Height 2 - 4" , Depth - 16", and thickness at .75",  which gives you 2.42242.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic