icon

headunit in 2002 chevy trailblazer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Elliesguy 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2002 chevy trailblazer. The headunit stays on when you take the  key out till you open the door. I'm trying to  hook an amp  up,  but cant locate the wire  that is hooked up to the radio that turns it off with the doors,  I've tried the orange wire, but nothign  happens, if anyone can help , that woudl be great, thanks
eju
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
The vehicle has a RAP wire - retained accessory power, I would suggest that you take your remote on power direct from the ignition line under the steering wheel assembly. It should be a pink wire. The wire should meter 12volts with the key in and turned to on or running.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  

How to retain door delay for your radio on GM

The RAP (Retained Accessory Power) relay is in the driver's side fuse box.

Pull the relay halfway out, so it still operates, but you can carefully slide a test light or meter against the terminals.

Test the terminals until you find the one that operates correctly. I think it is terminal #30, but not sure. If you don't have a tester, you could connect your amp turn-on wire to each terminal and try each one until it works right...it would take longer this way, but you won't hurt anything even if you get the wrong terminal.

After you have identified the right terminal, wrap a wire around it and reinsert the relay. Connect a small inline fuse---1, 3, 5 amps----whatever you have on hand. Then connect the amp's turn-on wire to the other side of the fuse, and you're done.

The reason for the fuse is so that if your amp-turn on wire shorts out sometime in the future, the fuse will blow and of course your amp will shut off, but at least the rest of the car's accessories will remain operational until you can repair the problem.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2003 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

Good idea from bberman should you want to go in that direction, solid info.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Elliesguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks so much for all the info.. its been driving me nuts
eju
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
Your Welcome
bassam_zaman 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 6:57 AM / IP Logged  
hey Elliesguy, thats the same wire i used on my 2002 chevy trailblazer, its the best way togo. You amp will turn on when the key is on position, and also whne the car is running.
Elliesguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  
I"m not finding any drivers side fuse box?  there is nothing there.. if there is i can't find it.  Help!  is it in another fuse box?
eju
Elliesguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2002 chevy trailblazer. The headunit stays on when you take the  key out till you open the door. I'm trying to  hook an amp  up,  but cant locate the wire  that is hooked up to the radio that turns it off with the doors, I was told that i coudl tap into the (rap) wire. Retained power accessory wire.  I cant find it. It was said it was on the drivers side fuse box.. I  can't find that.. Please Help,
eju
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
The radio doesn't have a wire you can use. The radio is controlled by the BCM in the vehicle on a data wire. Either use the brown accessory wire off the ignition switch to turn on the amp or if you want a 12 volt + source that is controlled by the retained acc. power circuit you must find a green wire in the rear fuse block area. It is the output wire from the retained accessory power relay. It stays at 12 volts + until a door is opened. It powers the sunroof.
sparky
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic