How to bypass Mustang Amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
surovich 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  

Hello,

I have a 2000 Mustang and I want to connect my new Radio to just the speakers without running new speaker wire - Any idea where the amp is on this?

Thanks

Scott

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
If you have the Mach 460 system, then you have 3 amps.
The 1st amp is under the factory headunit and all signals lead into it first. This amp runs the 4 tweeters if I remember correctly.
The 2nd and 3rd amps are located in the trunk. Look in the trunk under the parcel shelf. One of them runs the front 5x8 speakers, the other runs the rear 5x8's.
You'll need to look into an OEM converter to properly interface with the factory amplifiers
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
you can actually buy a special harness that will turn the amps on so you dont have to run speaker wire and still all your speakers will work.   metra makes a harness for it.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
or just save all the money on by pass wires......and re-wire it.......easier...trust me
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
You need more than just an amp turn-on. Scoche makes OEM adapters that allow you to properly adjust the headunit's output gain to match the amplifier's required input gain. Not sure if Metra has those, but I know Scoche does (just make sure you get one that can handle the appropriate wattage from the headunit)
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
si90lude 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
if you don't have a mach 460 system but it is still amped, try looking behind the radio on the right hand side towards the back of the dash, some modles have a second set of harnesses, if you disconnect these you should be left with the "older" style ford harness (metra # 70-1770)
I am not sure exactly what year they stopped this.
if you have the mach system, metra part # 70-5514 should solve the problem. You will only need to bypass the amp if the volume is too sensitive.
PuppyDawg 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

Alpine Guy wrote:
or just save all the money on by pass wires......and re-wire it.......easier...trust me

i agree with alpine guy......if you re wire it...and IF something goes haywire, like a short or something....you'll almost immediately know the problem cause YOU wired it.....feel me? ......get some nice thick gauge wire make it sound good and tell ya friends what ya did. How to bypass Mustang Amp? - Last Post -- posted image.

*paw print*
surovich 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks guys....  Rewire will work, but Im in Buffalo and it's damn cold for that now  :)

My main issue was too much power I think, The built in amp and new radio unit amp - Made a huge power on sound and alittle static hissing sounds (Not engine noise) at low volumes.

Scott

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic