icon

89 lincoln town car factory amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
Des this car have a factory amp?? Tis factopry radio has 2 plugs one plug has the power wires in it the other plug is in a gray shielded cable that has about 10 pins on the plugand it looks like a factory amp plug but i did not cut it open to see what was inside.I did not think this car would have one and the harnesses available do not look like the one i saw on the radio.
feuxmike 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 1999 lincoln town car , and mine has a factory amp,  its in the trunk rt side.i try to install a new one but cant fegure where to tap for my input , what is the best ,i tried the rear speaker it didnt work, if you know something pls, let me know, thanx.

feuxmike,,
Stevolon 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  

try using a batery with two leeds coming of it,one on the + side and one ont the -ve side. probe the wires on the 10pin plug see if you can get anything to pop. if you cant it is amplified .

Steve@A.E.S
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
If the second plug is a totally different shape than the main plug (long and flat for power vs small rectangular) then chances are you have an amplified system. You will either need to use the factory amp (blech)or bypass it ( a much better choice). Don't go probing wires with a battery, that's a sure way to blow things up.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Stevolon 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

blow what up forbidden? what in an 89 town car are you going blow up probing wires at  the back of the deck with a 1.5v battery?

Steve@A.E.S
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

For an untrained installer I am not recommending probing wires with a battery, the untrained may not just tap into a speaker harness with 1.5volts, but may tap into something that is not supposed to have voltage in it at all, and what if they were led to believe that this was an assumed practice to test all leads in this matter, this is why I don't recommend testing leads in this fashion. I have seen people testing leads with 14.4volt Makita batteries! Maybe I should have been a little clearer with my reply, maybe you should have specified a 1.5 volt battery, no offence intended. Now even though this post may have come from a dealer, any person who reads these posts, and alot of people with limited knowledge do, all these people can draw conclusions, we need to be sure to address this fact. For you or bberman or whoever knows what they are doing, well that is a different story. Even a dealer can have a new installer and that installer is going to have questions.

mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
Well turns out this car did have a factory amp ,but I could not get the metra harness to use so I ran my wires to the amp and bypassed it.I just really never thought this car would have had a factory amp in it and metra's program and there book did not say anything about this amp plug they sell for the premium sound in this vehicle well it works fine i just had to do it the hard way,thanks all.
Stevolon 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
forbidden, point taken.I appoligize if i was snarcky.
Steve@A.E.S
forbidden 
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
No worries dude.
si90lude 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2003 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with forbidden, I know someone who was looking in side posts for speaker leads, He was checking wires with a 1.5v battery and ignited the propellent in a seatbelt!!! (He wasn't hurt but imagine if it was an airbag!)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic