icon

F-150 Relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steve #1 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2003 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Most of the time it is the Multi-Function switch that is the culprit. Since that didn't fix it my second guess would be the wiring in the column or the GEM. When the GEM is at fault you normally have other electrical gremlins too, but it's one more thing to consider.
Haldol 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

well Teken, taking what you've told me, I went Saturday and worked on it again. There are two relays involved: one does the Park/Run and the other does the High Low. Low speed went to 87a, high went to 87; a jumper wire went from 30 of one relay to 30 of another. the switched 12v went to 86 on the same relay as the low and high wires and there was a wire coming from the multiswitch that went to ground when the switch was on that went to 85 on the same relay.

As I said, a jumper went from pin 30 of that relay to pin 30 of the other relay (the park/run relay). On the 2nd relay, pin 86 had switch 12 v, pin 85 had ground, and pin 87a had the wiper-park wire (causes the wipers to sit in place when you turn them off). My understanding of relays is limited. I get the first one but i dont understand the second one's wiring and how the jumper fits into place.

Haldol 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Btw Steve#1, so far we have inspected the wiring from the switch to the GEM and from the GEM to the distribution block. There are no other electrical problems in the vehicle so I don't think the GEM is the problem. The truck was wrecked before and rebuilt but the Power Distribution Block was not replaced. Consequently from the wreck, it was severly smashed. I believe that has something to do with it. On the above reply that I wrote to Teken, one thing I failed to mention is that I used a standard relay in place of relay #1 (the high/low relay) and b/c I mysteriously lost my other standard relay, I had to use the mini-relay for the second relay (the park/run relay).

Hope that's clear...

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2003 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
Haldol,
I will simply try to break this down. Please correct me if I am wrong at any point.
The wiper comes on-off without user intervention, correct?
1. Have you inspected *ALL* wires that lead to, and from the wipers?
A: If the vehicle was damaged as you have stated, then it may be possible that one or more wiring harnesses are frayed, or exposed.
Shafing on any body part could be a cause.
2. Ground Points: If any ground point is loose, corroded, or other wise unsound. This too could be a cause.
3. Wire Deteriation: If you do the simple tried and true *Tug & Pull* one each wire. The wire insulation should not stretch. If it does, you have internal wiring that has broken, or have been compromised.
4. Have you inspected the BCM for any loose or improper contact points?
5. Some vehicle use the body chassis as a secondary ground plane to bleed off any leakage.
With regards to the wiper motor, if the unit is unpainted and simply bolted to the frame, inspect the bolts which secure the wiper motor.
If the bolts are corroded, do a simple clean up and reinstall the bolts to see if it makes a difference.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic