icon

vehicle factory warranty problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
actionjackson 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
At the shop today we installed a remote start code alarm with alarm keyless entry and windows roll up and down. when the customer left the shop today he went to get his oiled changed at the dealership, and they told him since the alarm was now put on his warranty was voided so in turn the guys dad called me pissed off. we have been in business for 24 years and this is the first any of use has heard of this. I know there is a paper i read that stated it was against the law for the dealer to do this. please tell me where i can find this sheet to calm my customer, and keep me from giving a refund
HamiltonAudio 
Silver - Posts: 278
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

are u in canada or US?  I know in canada there is a swarm of legal-ese that is available and most shops have it.  It states that if the installer is government certified, and the shop carries correct liability insurance (as we all should), there is NO impact on the vehicles warranty UNLESS:  it can be proven that whatever the warranty issue is can plainly be pointed at the remote start install.  At which time the dealer is legally allowed to disclaim warranty on that instance.

for example, if we do a remote start on a new car and 10 minutes after it leaves the shop the muffler falls off, it has NOTHING to do with the r/s (clearly), so no issue.  But if the ignition module gets flakey and the mechanic sees a cheesy installer had probed a bunch of wires looking for tach, you might be in trouble  vehicle factory warranty problems -- posted image.

if in the us, I'm sure the same legalese exists....somebody should know where to find it or can fax it to you.

b

actionjackson 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, i live in louisiana, and hi understand what your saying but i seen one time a poster or something that even stated a law number that backed up my point, i just dont know where it was. hopefully someone here will know what im talking about
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
Federal Magnusson Moss Act I believe. This comes from a fellow poster on another board whom is very knowledgable. Lafayette representing. LOL
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/mag_moss.htm
Someone pass me that bottle.
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm
Someone pass me that bottle.
tuneman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  
Generally on newer cars we will not install the starter kill function just for that reason. But we always give the customer the option. If they choose to have it installed than they get to sign a waiver releasing us from liability.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic