polyfill

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jakita 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

I suggest you NEVER use fiberglass, if what you mean is the sort of fiberglass used as house insulation.  This stuff will shed fibers which can get caught in your drivers between the voice coil and the magnet assembly and can FRY your speakers.  Don't use it. 

I am, by the way, an "old school" guy!  polyfill - Page 2 -- posted image.

Just so you know fiberglass is not a conductive material.  I have never heard of it frying a sub.  If you look in some of the older commercially built enclosures they did used to use fiberglass.  A good example is sound equipment used for concerts and such which is built by the same company that makes infinity and Jbl.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

You are right, it will not fry a sub due to electrical conduction.  It will fry it because of mechanical interference with VC movement.  I have seen it happen, more than once.  Professional sound reinforcement cabinets did use fiberglass for a time in the 70's, you are correct.  But I have spent hours replacing some of those drivers (from companies like Harbinger and Community) and indeed, there was ALWAYS fiberglass imbedded in the VC.  In an auto subwoofer application, with much smaller (generally) enclosures and high heat and SPL inside the cabinets, the problem is worse.

BTW, Infinity and JBL are both now owned by the Harmon International Group, but they are designed and manufactured in entirely seperate facilities.

jakita 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the information DYohn.  I never heard of that happening but I do believe you.  I just dont see why fiberglass would cause that problem and polyfill would not.  I mean if it is a mechanical and not electrical problem couldnt polyfill fibers get into the voice coil also?
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

Fiberglas tends to easily break into small, almost microscopic splinters.  That's why it gets under your skin and makes you itch.  Polyfil is a longer, less brittle fiber (usually Dacron), so it doesn't break off and go floating around inside the box.

Scott

jakita 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you Scott seems to make sense.  I always use polyfill myself but I know other people that do use fiberglass.  I have never criticized what they do because I never had a reason to but I will relay the info so they dont have such a problem.  Thanks again.
Durwood 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

Oh, I don't have any personal evidence that Fiberglas DOES cause a problem.  I'm like you, I've always used Dacron Polyfil.  I just figured if Fiberglas causes a problem, that would be why.

Scott

Focusedonsound 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  

You say that using Acustastuff (and other products) make the speaker think its in a larger enclosure.  My question is how to make a larger enclosure smaller?

I built/ am building 2 fiberglass enclosures for 2 12in kicker comp XPL's and I think they are larger than necessary. 
any help is appreciated

dyer 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
stick a basketball in there!!!
Dyer
jakita 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2004 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
two part expanding foam works
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all your input, guys!  Now, instead of stuffing(polyfill), can somebody suggest a good LINING? Like something I could glue to the walls of the enclosure... The idea of sticking something into my box that would potentially touch one of the magnets bothers me... Call me crazy but it just doesn't sound like the best idea in the book.

Any suggestions?

--mindctrl

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic