the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

possible to separate faceplate from deck?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deven 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
is it possible to install my alpine hu in the glove and run the faceplate to the sunglass case in the overhead console??? i've heard you can use a ribbon cable or something to accomplish this?? and also something like you can only run it about 3 feet or does it even matter ??? if anyone could fill me in on the basics and what is needed and if it can be done i'd appreciate it, thx
Geeque 
Silver - Posts: 310
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
I dont believe you can get an extended ribbon cable for that headunit, try calling alpine. Length shouldnt matter.
Gary Kline
MECP Master Technician
94mx-5 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

possible: yes

easy: not really

the only way i can think to do something like that would be to solder the 15 or so connections from the face to the unit...

Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

94mx-5 wrote:

possible: yes

easy: not really

the only way i can think to do something like that would be to solder the 15 or so connections from the face to the unit...

Yes it's possible but may not be easy (but when was custom work ever that way). I did one years ago and you may try it with a ribbon cable the right length for between the two parts on a bench first. I had a problem with some wires being next to others and they would induce a signal into something else making it not work properly. You may have to play around with what wire goes next to another one. You may also have to shield the whole cable depending on if it's run next to some factory wiring.

If it doesn't work on the bench at least you tried but make it so you can return it to the way it was originally so you don't trash what you already have.

Jim/Saint Louis

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
sonicsound 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
I work at circuit city and my new manager used to work at St. Cloud, MN, the manager before him at St. Cloud.  Found a way to seperate the face plate from the hu's body and put the hu's body under the driver seat.  So the length I  think I can answer as: it shouldn't matter.  But what Jim has said up top is very true and you really want to play around with it before you install it permenantly.  I have also seen a face plate installed on a rear view mirror. I know that the old manager at St. Cloud soldered each indivdual wire with a "pen" soldering iron (the one you would use on circuit boards).  I think you can pick one up at your local hobby shop.  Definatley play around with it though with the correct length! Hope that helps.
Sonic
Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD
Zapco 360.4
Zapco 500.1
Zapco SP-4SL Processor
Two JL 10 W3v3d2
Alumapro 15 Farad Cap
soup 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
Where could I find a ribbon cable or connectors for a pioneer DEH-p6200 .. it just doesnt seem like something an electronics store would carry.
Haldol 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
see my post on the other one about seperating the face from the unit.
danw2002 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
yes, i have done it to a few units for custom Hot Rods that i did, first one almost 8 year ago.  dont need to use a ribbon cable, infact i use a shielded cable, find one that has the right amount of internal lines that you need.  eme direct for more info,  gives you some very cool options, one i did the 'base' unit in the dash, with just a slot in the full custom body contored dash, and the face up top above the rear view mirror.  other one was using an old Factory am radio, and using the push buttons and knobs to control the remote deck, way cool.....
Danw2002, 20+ years doing custom nut ball things...in Seattle..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic