icon

Engine Noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fusionsk8er13 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 6:56 AM / IP Logged  
I installed my new system and it is wired with the rca on one side of the car and the power on the other.  The rca cables go directly into the headunit, but for some reason I'm picking up a lot of engine noise.  If anyone can help that would be great.  Thanks Alex.
Alex
fatdaddyjoe 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
check your ground!!!make sure it is securly attached to unpainted metal.....
the louder the better !!!!!!
can you feel it ?????
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2004 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

What side did you run the remote wire on? Also do you hear the noise in all the speakers?

italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
the remote and rcas can be run on the same side..thats fine.  matter of fact...if ur hookin up an amp to subs...all the wires can be run on the same side and u will have no problem.  its only when u are running an amp on door speakers which will be pickin up full frequency range that the ground noise will occur.  check ur ground.  also is ur power and ground wires the right size?  and what kind of equiptment are you running?  ive seen this problem occur just for the fact of having low quality amps and head units.  play around with your gain settings on the amp, if they are too high, that can cause it too
staudio 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
If all else fails goto wal-mart and get a $13 ground loop isolator.
Fusionsk8er13 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2004 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all that info. At the moment I have power and remote on the left side of the car and the rca and speaker wire on the right side. The noise is only coming from the front speakers which is weird because I have 2 amps, 1 for the front and 1 for the rear, and they are both powered with a distrabution block and are grounded with another distrabution block. I have a kenwood mp522 headunit, 4x Infinity Kappa 572.5cf, and 2x Rockford Fosgate 401s and the Rockford CP4DCKS install kit. I've done a lot of troubleshooting, too much to name them all, and I'm pretty sure it's the amp that is causing the noise, but I'm still not sure because the amp works without noise if I plug a cd player directly into it. Thanks for your help again and if anyone can come to a conclusion that'd be awesome. Also on a side note does anyone know the exact fuse number for the accessory/ignition fuse on a 2000 Explorer.

Alex
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  

Take the rca's from the front amp and hook them up to the rear amp and vise versa. Then see if the noise transfers to the rear speakers and post your results.

Italnpimp59 I have had some installs where the remote wire was the cause of the engine noise when run rear the signal.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
And I have also had subs with "engine noise" as well, always run the rca's separate from any other wiring.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
oh....well ive been told that when installing subs its ok to run power and signal down the same side.  usually i run them down different sides anyway, but if im really in a hurry cause i have installs backed up, i run them on the same side and havent had problems cause of it yet.  im not tryin to say that you are wrong, just sayin what ive heard and what ive done
Haldol 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

Also disconnect the rca's from the amp completely. If you still have noise, it is being produced by the amp and that would be your problem. If the noise stops, then it's probably the head unit. You can run a "jumper" set of rca's (just another set that you KNOW there is nothing wrong with) from the back of the head unit to the amp. If, when the jumper is connected, the noise is no longer present, the problem is either the location of your rca's, where they are being routed through the dash, or the rca's themselves. If the noise is still present even with a jumper set, the problem is in your head unit.

A ground loop isolator will *sometimes* work, depending on the type of noise, if it is ground related. It will reduce the output of the amplifier (have witnessed this on a number of occassions) and as stated, may or may not work.

Hope this helps!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic