icon

car audio wall in store display

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ant@unigoal 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
I'll try and make this as brief as possible. I'm trying to power 2 big amps (sony 1600watt amp & a small 80 watt amp) I have them installed on a car audio wall that I built for my store. We currently have a 12 converter that is capable of putting out 46amp constant. This is the biggest converter that I can purchase from my sources. The amps play fine until you really try and crank it up then the subs cut out like the amp is suffocating for power. I'm thinking about trying to jump from 1 converter to another to try and create more amperage for the wall so this will not continue to happen. The wall sounds fine at lower volumes but I need it to be able to handle more power. I've tried a Power Cap but it didn't do the trick so I took it off the wall. This is a permanant display in my store and I would like any help getting this right.
cadillacdieter 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Astron makes a 70 amp power supply.  They are commonly used for ham radios.  They sell on ebay for about $200-$250.  
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 16, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah it sounds like you need more than just a couple power supplies in parallel- with those 2 amps you can draw roughly 150 amps!

ant@unigoal 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
I'll co some research on this and see if this is what I'm looking for. I appreciate your responses.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
Not exactly ideal but you could always rig up a car battery and then just charge it when not in use..
Mike
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2004 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Cascade Audio makes some large power supplies as well, I use a couple of the 90amp models for my stereo boards. A battery is also a really good idea, it can store the current that you will need to make that board wail when needed, like Dyohn says, charge it when not in use. I would try this first before spending big bucks on a new power supply.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mindctrl 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2004 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  

Personally, I would recommend several optima yellow tops hooked up in parallel, and then charge those with a battery charger when they are not in use.  Add some stiffening caps too, and you've basically simulated a noiseless car audio environment.  Thats usually the easiest way to do it, from what I've heard.  Never done it myself though, so I can't vouch for it.

--mindctrl

oldencnile 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  

Now, would hooking up to amps in parallel be OK to do? I mean, I've never done it, and I wouldn't know if they'd short each other out or what... Like I've seen those pyramid units that'll hit 40 amps or so... So basically get 3-4 of them and hook all the + terminals together, and all of the - terminals, then run to the car amp? Another question, how long can a car battery run that type of drain (120 or so amps constant) and would I be able to have the quickcharger hooked up to the batteries while I was using them? What about using a car battery charger alone, many odf them have that nice 100 amp starter setting...but I'm guessing that is just for a brief load....

Thanks fellas!

-Jordan

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
Welcome to the forum.  I suppose you mean hooking up power supplies and/or batteries in parallel.  There shouldn't be any problem with this.  You want to make sure they're all the same type, age, rating, etc.  How long a battery can sustain the load would depend on the battery.  There should be a rating somewhere on the battery in amps/hours.  I wouldn't use just a charger for safety's sake.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
P1atinum 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

I have built a couple of big walls for my shops in Utah. Basically modeled after Winntech designs. We run all of our displays off of two batteries and a Constant Astron charger, We had a Winntech slingshot running for more then two years with out replacing the Red top Optima’s. IMHO that is the best way to go for a power source. Just keep the charger away from the electronics, you could get some noise from it. Caps are also a good idea, if you really hammering a wall.

I would not run any of the amps in parallel!! You will need to get some sort of switching unit to switch between your amps/deck/speakers Etc. Or make dedicated systems. I am really only familiar with Winntech switches but they are very pricey. You may be able to find a used switching system here on the boards or on E-bay. Many shops are changing out to computer controlled switching systems and sell off their old stuff cheep.

Good luck with your store

P1.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic