icon

Head Units - What do you use?- Favorites

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beyondamfm 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

I have been using panasonic's headunits for a couple of years know and have not had any major issue like I have with other companys. Their warranty and service is like no other.

The Clear Bra Guy
KCs premiere paint protection guru
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  

I have to agree with xTimx about the need for at least 1 Eclipse model with a detatchable face. Last night I ran into a guy at 7-11 that I have seen around before. He was selling an Eclipse component set and Deck. When I asked him about it being stolen or if he had the security CD, he just took-off running. This would be the third incident dealing with Eclipse theft in the last 16 mos that I know of. There are a lot of "Rich" poeple up the street from me and quite a few of the youngsters I've seen have Eclipse systems in their car. Or Denon and Alpine. I've seen 1 complete Mcintosh system but to me it looks like crap. It looks like something that would appeal to an elderly audiophile who wants things to look like they did when he/she was young? But that system was all digital and sounded clear as a bell.  There is no question about Eclipse' sound quality. It is awesome. I may try the 8443 model as recommended by Forbidden. If I do, I'll be buying it from a dealer so that I can have the full warranty including the full replacement if stolen in first year. I will probably be alright with it in my car because it only comes out of the garage on the weekend. And I never park it anywhere where it will be unattended.   

>i have a Q about eclipse, and someone was mentioning about theft. but >wouldnt it be logical that if a theif sees a deck like eclipse will most likely >say to himself, oh this car has a stereo in it, and if they do look at the >eclipse deck they're mouthes are gonna be watering also cause of the high >$ for the actual cd player. but correct me if i'm wrong, does eclipse have >theft proof decks? i just think its pointless to have a deck that doesnt have a >detach face plate. cause you know your deck is gonna be stolen but yet its >worthless to the theif cause its theft proof.

boom, boom, boom boom....
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

Theft is not a new issue, it rears it's ugly head all the time. For the younger generation they know only of detach faceplates, for the older, more distinguished gentlemen, ahem, we came from the days before faceplates. We had quick release tape decks and cd players, Code Security (still around today), and before that permanent mount units. Theft was just as much an issue then as it is now. A thief will take anything, be it your stereo or your cd's or your jacket.

Eclipse has the best theft deterrent available, it is proven fact that they get stolen far less than any other cd player in the industry, this is due to the fact that most (not all) lowlifes know that they are useless. For the ones that don't, they will steal it because it is there, not because it is an Eclipse. The ones that know it is an Eclipse already know it's useless.

It is also common knowledge that where there is a cd player, there is a good chance that there is a stereo system, this makes no difference as to the brand of cd player. At least with an Eclipse it does it's job the best. First it provides unparalled sq as compared to the mid fi category cd players, second, if it is stolen, at least you don't foot the bill in the first year.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Theft is something all of us have to be concerned with all the time.  It is just part of having mobile electronics.  All you can do is layer your security to hopefully avoid becoming a victim.  Remember, if it is there and somebody wants it bad enough, they will get it.  You wanna keep your head unit? Install a backstrap.  One of the most preventative measures you can take.  Even if someone has the keys to your radio and tries to pop it out, the backstrap, which is bolted to the chassis, will keep your radio where it should be, in your car.  Of course, a thief could take your dash apart if they really wanted to and unbolt it, but it is an extremely good measure to take and very easy to do.  I like the idea of a detachable face because, hey, if it dissuades even ne theif from breaking into my car, then it has done its job.  My headunit, a Kenwood KDC-X869, has the revolving MASK face and also has a detachable back panel.  I like this very much.  Actually, i would put a vote in for a Kenwood radio, despite what people say.  I love my Kenwood.  I think it sounds great, has great features, and is 1000 times easier to use than my old Alpine CDA-9815, which was stolen by the way.  Unless you are an AVID car audio enthusiast who likes to spend hours and hours playing with equipment, I would stay away from the Alpines, although they are great head units.  They are just so difficult to use.  I cruise car audio forums all day and I see a lot of threads related to setting up an Alpine head unit. 
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
ksin291 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  

EzekialPhoenix

If you are going to take the time and invest the money into installing an aftermarket audio system then you should spend the time learning how to properly use your equipment. Once I flipped though my Alpine CDA-9815 manual I understood how to use my radio perfectly, there is nothing complicated about it. It's common functionality that you find in external crossovers and eq's, the features just happen to be built in. I have never heard anything in the price range of my alpine, except eclipse HU's, that sounds better. If you don't want to use all of the features of the HU you don't have to, just plug and play. I personally have had two very bad experiences with kenwood HU's and I don't care to repeat them. Mabye they have changed their act since I tried them but getting burned twice is enough for me. 

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine HU's are some of the easiest ones to use ,especially compared to Kenwood. I havnt seen anyone ask how to use them. Even my mom can use hers. And if you use a backstrap that will just make the theif more frustrated probobly. He might end up hacking up your entire dash to get to it. I dont think they will leave your dash in perfect condition. Also some one already posted on a different topic about their brother having to go to court because a theif got cut trying to take off the back strap and he lost.
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
I absolutely cannot believe you are telling me that a backstrap is a bad idea!!!!!!!!  That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  I was not bashing Alpine, nor anybody else's idea of security, I was just trying to help.  I don't see why I get ganged up on for posting my opinion anyway.  You know what, you guys can have fun with head units with no security whatsoever.  In your world, that must be fine, but in mine I will do anything I can to protect my head unit and using a backstrap and detaching the face are security measures that are an absolute necessity if you want to keep your radio. 
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

I think that you have very good and valid points, a backstrap is always a good idea on a cd player.Head Units - What do you use?- Favorites - Page 3 -- posted image.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

Is a theif gonna stop taking out your cd player just because you have a backstrap? Dont think so unless he's an ametuar or dosnt want your radio that much. You even said it in your last post "the theif could just take apart your dash to take off the backstrap" but who knows how much of your dash would be usuable once he is done with it. If you like the idea of using a backstrap then use one. Me ,I would just try to stay away from areas where a theif would walk by your car or truck and see your stereo(busy sidewalks) and detach my faceplate when you feel it neccessary.

MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  

Anyone using the Alpine CDA-7995? It is either going to be the CDA-7995, Eclipse CD 8443, or Kenwood KDC-X959. All three will suit my audio needs and would look "Stylish" in my ride as well. I don't care about the screensaver type stuff. I will be installing one of those all in one DVD players/monitors in my glovebox for something cool to look atHead Units - What do you use?- Favorites - Page 3 -- posted image.   

Forbidden- I almost forgot about the "Pull-Out Era" I remember making my own pullout tapedecks with sheetmetal and a multi pin plug back in the old days before pullouts. Remember they started selling aftermarket kits to modify your in-dash to a pull-out? 

Backstraps can be good or bad because as stated above, the theif will just rip your dash apart. On the other hand, you might catch them yourself if they have to take the extra time to rip it out with 2 giant screwdrivers. They don't seem to care about destroying the deck in the process of stealing it. But why should they. They are just Freakin A-Holz who break into your car to steal "your" sh*t.

I personally like detatchable faceplates because they stop my windows from being smashed and having to got through cleaning up so much glass in every nook and cranny. Small pieces of glass will make instant rattle traps. But I have less worries about this car because it won't be going anywhere but to Santa Cruz on Sundays or a trip to L.A. so I may go with the Eclipse because I know how good they sound. All the rich-kids up the street have Eclipse or Denon usually with Infinity's.

A   

boom, boom, boom boom....
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic