icon

alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2004 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
alright thanks guys, sounds good, i also talked to my alt guy, he sdays he can upgrade my original alternator to 160 amps if it;s in good shape for only 125 canadian, can you do that?>
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 3:58 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah same affect. He will recoil it for you. You'd be best getting a new until though. On the subject of caps, mainly just for should. So you really shouldn't have to worry about it. They will just stress your electrical system even more.
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2004 at 4:10 AM / IP Logged  
Hmmm....anyone know how many amps a 01 accord lx puts out?  Because im running the memphis belle and it puts out 1100x1 and 75 x4.  Guess i should get a HO alt also?
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
a high output alternator is always good when you have a system
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2004 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  
97Neon I would stay away from most garages rewind alternators...typically they dont get rebuilt completely, alot of the old parts get reused, and they tend to induce a ton of extra noise into the system...
and for the price you are being quoted, I would really question the claim on output as well...
one thing you should always ask when purchasing an alternator from anyone, is what speed will your motor have to be running in order to put out enough amperage to cover your needs...most reputable alternator builders will have their alternators put out hefty amounts of current at idle, so you dont have to sit and rev the hell out of your motor at each and every light you come to just so your car doesnt stall...in the typical garage rewind, they are hard pressed to put out the claimed amperage at redline, let alone at idle...
your alternator is the heart of your electrical system...dont be cheap there...do it right and do it once...
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic