icon

Dynomat

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2004 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the link.  Myself, I've gone ahead and ordered one 12' sheet to try it out.  hammondc, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about it.  You said that IT IS the same as dynamat, so could I assume that it won't leave any odour and will be equally effective?  At $14 for a 12' sheet, I'm more than willing to accept that it'll be somewhat less desirable than brown bread or dynamat but the question is how much.  I guess I'm just trying to make sure that I won't have unrealistically high expectations.  Once again, thanks for the link.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2004 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
bryce let me know how u like it.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
hammondc 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2004 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  

It has very little odor. I did my whole car and could barely smell it for about a week. Then it was gone. I used to do competetive SQ contests and used Dynamat. I think it is every bit as good as Dynamat. The only problem is that sometimes the adhesive can be a little weak for spots like the trunk lid where you are constanly slamming it. I am sure you will be happy. I assume you mean a 12' square sheet.

bryceyaworsky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
pure, I'll let you know my opinion as soon as I get it and try it out, but it could be a week or two since my deck is off for warranty.  hammond, I'll trust your opinion and have high expectations, but I hope it won't backfire....  I know it seems logical that we're always suspicious of these things which seem too good to be true, but I've been thinking about it:  This stuff is damping material.  It's made (or at least I think it is) of the same material as Dynamat and Brown Bread, so why wouldn't it be as effective?  Is it in our heads?  I find myself writing things off now and again based on their price, but this time I'll keep an open mind and hope for the best.  The material cost in a sheet of any brand of damping material is fairly cheap, consisting mostly of crude oil and its by-products.  To charge $6-$10 US for a square foot is another case of making people think there's something special about it when it's all in our heads (at least I think so).  Tell somebody that you could double layer their entire trunk for $60 and they'll think you're nuts or in the crime business.  Or maybe I'm wrong?
hammondc 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

no offense taken. No one here is obligated to trake my opinion either. If you choose to take the cautious route (and I guess you would be smart to) , just order 1 sheet to check it out.  They  take returns, so you can send it back if you would like. I am simply saying it is a cheap effective alternative to Dynamant, Brown Bread etc. All the sound damping stuff on the market is great, however, I think it is all pretty much the same. It is all based on a simple concept called mass loading. To stop excess vibration, you make the surface heavier or more dense. It is that simple. You could cover your entire trunk with about a gallon of roofing tar from home depot and it would work great. It might stink like hell, but it would work. The ice guard is a great idea, except you get all the granular coating all over everything. I did a search on yahoo and came upon this site. I have some experience in sound proofing recording studios and the specs of this stuff seemed great. I decided to take a chance on it and was very pleased. Some people may say I am wrong, but hey, that is opinion right?? And you know what they say about opinions......

"opinions are like a$$holes--everyone has one and they all stink.  "

bryceyaworsky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  

true enough.  Recording studio?  You don't say...  I noticed they had the foam panels as well, except at a huge fraction of the cost if you bought them from any pro audio retailer.  I'm gonna buy a bunch of them for for my studio!!  People can be very blind when it comes to that stuff as well, myself included...

P.S.  I checked the specs on Dynamat original and the industrial stuff, and strangely enough, they were identical in weight, thickness, and temp range was very close. 

Once again, thanks for the link.  If the damping sheet works out I'll be able to buy from them for my installs and my studio, and the studio savings alone make it more than worth it.

ODLeon 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
since the glue on the mcmasters material is not strong enough to install on the roof, what kind of glue can you apply to make it stick to horizontal surfaces??? i was looking at dynamats and mcmasters specs and they're pretty much the same thing. im gonna get 8 rolls to do my whole car(PT Cruisr) and need to know what to use to make it stick to the roof.
bryceyaworsky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2004 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
that reminds me hammond: did you use heat when applying the sheets to your trunk lid, or did you just put it on?
bryceyaworsky 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
It came in today, so I'll be working in a different trunk today or tomorrow.  I'll post as soon as I have finished.  Could someone describe what dynamat is like?  Is it just like browm bread (layer of foil/backing and the rest is tar)?
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2004 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
If i were to apply this to the doors of my 4runner there are plastic sheets on the doors (I guess for waterproofing) would i just cut these off? and have any of you had this problem too?
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic