making sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BangBang 
Silver - Posts: 287
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
i have two 12" VOlfenhag subs
i wanna make a sub woofer box. waht material, and size is best. THis will be going into a honda 92 trunk i wanna know wut will make it sound LIKE BOMB.. im into bass so let me know wats up
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

3/4" MDF is what you should make it out of... you need to refer to your sub instructions or specs to find what volume the box needs to be and you need to get this part right or your subs will blow!  Id suggest a bandpass box if your just into the bass but if thats a daily driver id go with a sealed because SPL is great I love it myself but you wont get the sound quality with bandpass like you will with sealed and sealed still gives you great SPL... I have 4 Lightning Audio 12's in my lil ol' Jetta trunk and I rock the entire thing and all my boxes are sealed. 

---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  

MDF, and ported

like superstreet said refer to your specs about box size

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
MDF, make sure to use bracing and silicone to seal the corners
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
BangBang 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 3:19 AM / IP Logged  
how do i refer to the specs?wut u mean?
Clean Install 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  

do you have the subwoofers manuals ?

if so they are in the manuals, there should be a spec. page or possible a sheet

BangBang 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  

THIS IS WHAT THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL SAID EXACTLY

Notes:
1. Depending on the space available in your turnk select a large or small bass reflex enclosure (big or small box) or a band pass enclosure.
2. The diameter of the bass reflex tube (port 0) should not vary by more than a maximum of 10% in relation to the specified length (port1).

3. All the walls of the enclosure should have exactly the same thickness as the front panel.

4. Make the walls of the enclosure out of chipboard, bonded together with good wood glue.
5. Fasten the walls of the enclosure with screws with a spacing of apporx. 10cm.

6. Seal the enclosure from the inside with wood glue.

SO WUT THE HECK IS IT SAYING ? if not can u guys help me create one ?

Clean Install 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 3:34 AM / IP Logged  

well I just looked at a website woofersetc. and it said that the recommended sealed enclosure size is 1.25 cubic feet...

sam1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
get 3/4 MDF and make the box so inside it has about 1.25 cubic feet of volume.  use wood glue on the sides of all the pieces to bond them together and put a screw about every 3 or 4 in.  make sure to pre drill the holes for the screw so you dont crack the wood.  you can also make it out of fiberglass if youve got money and patience.  ive made probably 20 or so MDF boxes and its really easy.  just make sure to get the airspace as close to 1 1/4 cu ft to get the best performance from your subs.  theres a box calculator on one site thatll tell you exactly what size to cut each side, but i forgot the website.  maybe someone else in here knows.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

Volfenhag subs, eh?  Put them into the OEM cardboard box they came in and seal with masking tape.  Jab repeatedly with a long phillips head screwdriver.  Make sure the screwdriver penetrates all the way through the cardboard on both sides.  If you encounter resistance, you have hit the woofer magnet and must reorient your strike.  After 20 to 30 punctures, wire the subs in series and plug them into the 120V wall outlet in your garage.  Enjoy the smoke.  Unplug and toss entire assembly into the garbage can.  Buy good quality subs and start over.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic