icon

best box for audiobahn subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
-hey thanks for the wiring info, i'm now running my 2 audiobahn aw1051q parallel in 2 ohm stereo mode-what a difference.  what is the best kind of box for these 2 subs?  right now they are in a L-shaped bandpass box w/ the subs facing eachother and has a plexi window (it was purchased on e-bay).  it sounds good but i think it could sound better.  any suggestions for the best box?
flashalex 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
I have two Audiobahn AW1200Qs in a similar bandpass box and its really loud. If you are looking for better sound quality then you may want to looking in to getting a sealed box but if I were you I would just save your money and keep the box you have.
flashalex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
I have two Audiobahn AW1200Qs in a similar bandpass box and its really loud. If you are looking for better sound quality then you may want to looking in to getting a sealed box but if I were you I would just save your money and keep the box you have.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Those woofers might not last too long in a bandpass enclosure (unless it happens to be the perfect size for them) but it is the best way to maximuze their SPL output.  If you want good SQ and a long life and still have the ability to pound, put each one in a 1.5 CUFT sealed enclosure.  They will be much happier.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Best box for Audiobahn subs? The ones they came in, so you can return them. Im just joking, but I couldnt resist because I just got done reading about 97neons problems. I would tend to agree with Dyohn, the sealed enclosure would work well. You could also make a ported enclosure about 2 cubic feet per driver with ports that are 3"x 10" long. That would probally give you the more output than the sealed enclose and a wider frequency response when compared to your bandpass design. The only downside is that it wont play quite as wide of range as the sealed enclose will. Your call
flashalex 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
What do u mean by last to long were you talking about my subwoofers or his or both?
alex75 
Copper - Posts: 134
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the info-much appreciated!  The Audiobahn manual  indicates that a sealed box should be between .53 and 1.06 cu ft.  A  ported enclosure should be .88 cu ft.  How closely should I adhere to this?  What's the difference in SQ between a smaller or bigger bow within those perameters?   By the way I drive a Nissan Altima with a trunk.   If I put the subs in a sealed box, what is the best wiring configuration?  I was thinking of wiring the subs parallel then series to eachother for a 4 ohm mono bridged load (my amp is only 2 ohm stereo stable. All input appreciated!
nxtbesthing 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

I would put each in a 1.5 cubic ft. enclosure with a port that is 3"x6.75".  That should get them bangin. Or if you really like it loud and nasty put each in a 2.5 cubic ft. enclosure with a port that is 4"x6.8" 

Anything can be done it just takes a big hammer, a saw, and a big set of balls

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
Audiobahn subs are quickly gaining a reputation for being short lived.  I know of at least six setups in the past few weeks (not including the saga of 97Neon detailed on this forum) where Audiobahn subs in perfectly built enclosures powered by well-set-up amps within their rated power band have FRIED for no apparent reason.  I will no longer recomend to any customers that they install these.  I think people are being fooled by the vaguely German sounding name that these must be high-quality subs when in fact they don't seem to be.  They sound good and can really pump the SPL, but they are overpriced and if they fry after a few weeks of normal use, then they are expensive boat anchors in my opinion.  There are much better choices in their price range.
jbjohn22jb 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
I can't respond to the ported side of this question. But as far as sealed goes, yes, sealed is the way to go. I had mine in a box that was maybe 1-1.25 cu ft in both chambers, I just built a new box giving them each 2.0 cu ft. Difference is noticable for the better. I haven't heard alot of positive things for the Audiobahns in ported enclosures though. Not neccessarily bad, just that the subs didn't perform well. Thanks for posting about the ones on Ebay, I almost bought that box (or one like it) a month ago. Glad I didn't.
"I'm only doin' this for ya because I heard that Buffalo Bob guy shoved a road flare up yer bunghole...."
Kenwwod 315s
2 Audiobahn AWI25IT
1 Audiobahn A275HCT
1 Tsunami 1.0
1 Legacy 3.0
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic