icon

trunks vs hatchbacks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiobahn10s 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, just wondering what you guys thought the difference was in SQ/SPL between hatchbacks and trunks, most small systems ive heard in hatch's sound alot better then they would in trunks, ive heard its a difference of 3db, or double the cone of the subs.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
Its definately true that when the subs are in the same cabin as you that the sound is better.  When subs are placed in a trunk they are basically sealed away from the rest of the car, which is why i will never own a car, trucks and SUV's all the way!   You can build a port through the back seats and it will sound a heck of a lot better, but nothing compares to subs being in the same cabin as you.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
ya but then there is the cars where you have the back seats folding down like my cavalier. that essentially is the same thing as being in the same cabin.
xTimx
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
true true, but for lazy people thats not an option trunks vs hatchbacks -- posted image. haha
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
audiobahn10s 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
yea true all that stuff, my back deck on my car is really small to so most of the trunk is trunk lid which looses sound because theirs not alot of room for the bass to port through, my friend with two powerbase's 350w peak get insanly loud with a laser becuase its hatch off of only a lanzar 800wluckyily its a small trunk though. i cracked my backseats bout an inch that helps, a little i just dont like puttin the back seats down, next car ill b a hatch, anyone know how good a eclipse is for a system??
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
An Eclipse will sound great for any system, be it sq or spl, good choice dude.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2004 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Yea depending on what you have if you let your backseat down you can actually hear the subs movements....which makes everything sound like poo.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
actually i really wanna get myself a Honda CRX, wow they're loud for subs, especially if you have a ported box, i would say a single punch HX2 in a ported box would do the trick. or even a single ported digital designs sub. (tips head back and drools).
xTimx
Sobe_Death 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2004 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

my ex gf has a system i helped her build in her 03 civic(used to be in a 95 t-bird), consists of a 10" eclipse aluminum dvc in a large vented box, 600 watt Xtant amp, and some mbquart speakers connected to an alpine head unit.  seat up or down, that thing will hit so hard it hurts. sounds VERY clean when you turn it down too.

superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
on my car in the backseat i have a arm rest but behind the arm rest it is sealed... i just cut that right out and lots more bass in the cabin
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic