icon

Which head unit Alpine/Sony

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
FredA1974 
Copper - Posts: 31
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

I been thinking about 2 different head units for a little while now and I am not sure which one I would be better off with. So here it is. Either the Sony CDX-9905X of the Alpine CDA-9835. Yep 2 high power radios with lots of toys.

I think the Alpine is going to better in sound quilty then the Sony, but i could be wrong. I haven't heard either of these 2 units. They Sony by far looks alot nicer. I think the Alpine has more features, but not doing a huge system.

I plan on hooking up a simple system 1 of 2 things.

System 1. All Alpine with the CDA-9835 Head-unit, SPR-176A for the Front and SPR-574a for the rear. 1 Type R 12" and the MRD-M301 for an amp.

System 2. Sony CDX-9905x for the head unit with JL Audio speakers. XR650-CSI for the front, XR570-CXI for the rear. The sub will by a stealthbox made for the PT Cruiser which house 1 10W0. The amp will either by the 500/5 or the e6450. Which ever I get a better price.

So which seems like the best way to go. I am looking to keep cost down, even though this is really good stuff. Want it to looknice without taking up alor of room and of cause sound good. I am not going to compete just want good clear sound.

All info is welcome and most of all Thanks.

One_Evil_Necro 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  

As far as my personal preference goes, I would most definately take the Alpine HU over the Sony, I may be biased but I have had nothing but problems with Sony's car audio.  It is also ok to mix and match brands, go to a few stores listen to as many amplifiers and subs as you can in a price range that is affordable to you, after all you will be the one listening to this =)

~Jay

Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Avoid the Sony head unit all together.
The Alpine is the better product of the 2 and will last alot longer.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Which head unit Alpine/Sony -- posted image.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

just curious.... you are building a system and have settled on one of two possible head units, yet you say you havent HEARD either of them.......... how the heck did you narrow your search to these two models without even listening to them??

isnt the best way to make a decision about the most critical component in an AUDIO system to qualify and judge them AUDIBLY?   it's not like buying a tv where you just look at it

dont get all hung up on features and propaganda...like i've said a few times, grab a couple of your favorite test discs, put 10 bucks worth of gas in your car and go shopping...........

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
FredA1974 
Copper - Posts: 31
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks all for the input. I been leaning towards the Alpine too. I was getting hung up with the fancy display on the Sony.

kgerry,

You are right about listening and all that, but there is still overall quilty of a company. I do believe Alpine is a great company and Sony isn't bad either. I been to a couple of local shops and none of them had this unit on display and the Alpine just came in stock in a couple of them so they didn't even know what it looked like. I am buying these units blind, but from the past and listening to other models from these companies Alpine did sound a little better. But everyone pushes Alpine and favors them and I want a wide range of opinons.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
both are reputable companies... personally, i've ( my company ) been an authorized Alpine service centre since 1979 and i wouldnt hesitate for a moment to put an Alpine in my own vehicle ( heck, i've had probably 10 Alpine head units over the years )... you are very right about looking at the inherent quality behind the name... i do the same myself, whether i'm buying a car, TV or washing machine.... all i was saying was the most CRITICAL test in chosing a new head unit should always be how it sounds... not whether or not it has a holographic display or whether a little hand comes out of it and ....  well, you get the idea......
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Sony may have fancy displays, but if the never work, what good are they? yes thats right, they arnt any good. Unless you are on a harsh budget, dont even consider sony. If you are getting this much money invested into a HU, buy the dependable one that you know will last and dont have to send it in for warrenty 3 times a year. Alpine also has more features to help you tune your system and get the sound stage set the way you want it. I believe that model has a HPF and LPF on them if i'm not mistaken. ALl these features will make your system sound better.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  

Sony may have a pretty face (nah eclipse hu's have better ones) but they dont sound that good and are not reliable. I would buy the alpine head-unit, the jl component set, coaxials and amp, and the alpine sub (although the 500/5's sub channel would underpower it a little), but thats just me.

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Dont go with the sony, Alpine is a much better buy. I have a Panasonic and love it.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

kgerry gave you some great advice that I would suggest you follow. Just because a name brand has been around for a long time does not necessarily mean it is either the best or the worst. Read between the lines with what people are posting and the truth shall set you free. I have a personal preference that I have built up from being in this industry for the last 16 years, I have seen all companies, good and bad and have made my decision based on fact, not what something looks like. There is a drastic difference in performance, sound quality, build quality etc. between something built to hit a price point or look good vs. something that is built to perform good and sound good.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic