icon

optima batteries?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aaustinasdf 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have 3 12s and two 3 fared caps. I'm running an audiobahn A1300HCT and a KOLE 1450 for my amps. I need more battery power. I've been looking at optimas. How many do you guys think I need. And how do you keep them charged. If you run 2 batteries does that put the volts up to 24? Any help on this sittuation would be appreciated.
netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
You need more battery power or more amps (bigger alternator)?  Sounds like you need a bigger alt.  Adding more batteries to a stock alt will just make it work harder.
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
Altenator first, batteries second. Also if the batteries are wired correctly you will get 12 volts still, if you dont then you get fireworks. I think that you must wire in parrell to get 12 volts but IM NOT SURE so make sure you check or someone else on here will probally correct me if Im wrong or confirm if Im right any ways. The only real reasons for more batteries is gonna be if you want more reserve when you are listening to your stereo with the vehicle off. Why exactly do you think you need more batteries?
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
aaustinasdf 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
I was told you need more batteries for more power. I guess he was wrong. wheres a good place to get a high performance alenater?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Did a mechanic tell you that?
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
aaustinasdf 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2004 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

yup, what kind of alternater do I need for a 98 gmc jimmy.

netboy 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
www.4alterstart.com makes good ones
Memphis MC-1300
2 12" JLw6v2
Diamond audio M3 6x9
Diamond audio M3 5.25 components
Audio control Matrix
Carputer
ashman 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  

I would look into a battery combiner from west marine, friend is running 4 batteries in his tahoe with a battery combiner, and the thing works beautifully and lets all 4 batteries charge att he same time. He also has a beefed up alternator at like 250 amps or somethign crazy, but before with an isolator it wouldn;t charge the batteries, so we put in a combiner. It's not cheap, but it works beautifully and you can get a control panel for the interior of the car to monitor your batteires with the combiner.

He was playing his system, ran down the batteries, went to the combiner, clicked a switch, and the car started right up no problems, and his batteries began charging right away when the car was running.

Definately somethign to look into. from what I understand the combiner allows a regular alternator to charge multiple batteries.

Tcole 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2004 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
I believe that an Optima battery will give you bit more reserve power for when your system demands, like when you hit a deep bass note. Dont get me wrong an alt is what you need but that battery is also going to help you.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic