icon

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Radio is bad bad

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeff_rdk 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  

Just bought a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix and if I could change one thing...it would be the lousy stereo! I guess I should opted for the Monsoon or Bose. I think too it's the speaker placement. Don't get me the wrong, the Bass response is ok but the Mids and Treble sound like their in a bathroom. Very hollow and muffeld sounding. Does anyone have any quick fix or suggestions for this problem. Id rather not replace the head unit since I leased the vehicle. Maybe replacing the tweeters in the door would be a simple fix?? Adding a small 4 channel amp with some crossovers to the factory speakers? Maybe snipping the wires to the tweeters in the doors (were your legs totally cover the speakers) and mounting some aftermarket tweeters to the A Pillars?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Jeff_rdk

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  

Replace your HU for start.  It will make a big difference.

Do it right the first time
jeff_rdk 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 10:02 AM / IP Logged  

If I replace the head unit..is there an adaptor to retain the steering wheel controls?

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
PAC makes a unit that will allow you to use the steering wheel controls if your new HU comes with a remote
Do it right the first time
jeff_rdk 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

Would a small EQ make any difference? and if so..what would one recommend. Remember...it would be hooked up to a factory HU. Would I need an adaptor for the hign pass. freq? O know this sounds ghetto..but since the car is a lease, I just want to get some more treble and mids. Open up the sound a little..im not looking for perfection..just something a little better then what it is.

Thanks

spddmon 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

It is alot more difficult to replace a head unit in a new gm vehicle. The HU is controled by the BCM and removal of the head unit may cause adverse affects such as loss of door chimes, and on star capabilities which use the stock HU. People say that other features controled through the bcm are also affected (i.e. remote entry, airbags etc...) On my 2002 sunfire only the chimes were effected, but my computer system is much more simple than a grand prix. Also there is no access. power wire for the stock HU (powered by the data link connetion wire) and a suitable wire will have to be found to turn on a aftermarket deck. I have also been told that it could trigger a SES light.

the best solution is a 4 channel amp with new speakers. To my knowlegde the factory speakers have a amp with a built in crossover for each channel/speaker. You cannot amp the stock speakers because the fronts are components and the crossover is in the amp.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
I would replace the stock speakers with some good quality inexpensive coaxials up front and in the rear and a small amp to power them. You could keep the stock head-unit, and use an LOC to send a signal to the amp.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 07, 2004 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
I would do as customsuburb would do.  You can keep the original speakers in your bottom right desk drawer, don't cut any original wires or plugs, and restore the car as original when the lease is up.  And you'll have a system ready to install in the next lease...
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
archemedes 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2004 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
here's a link to a grand prix specific forum, many of the guys there have done upgrades and know the electrical system as well as most of the gm engineers
http://www.clubgp.com/
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic