icon

Capacitor not enough?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noakes75 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

i just got done hooking up 1/2 my system in my thunderbird and ran into some problems. the head lights where dimming quite bad along with my interior lights. also my engine would actually lose RPMS when the bass would hit.  not only that but the music would go in and out when turned up. so i did what i thought was good, and went out and bought a 2 farad capacitor and hooked it up, problem presisted, but got better.  so once again i thought id do the right thing. went to advance auto and bought a yellow top. hooked it up, problem was still there, once again better. i dont know what to do now. im kinda lost. i thought maybe it could be my CD played, its a rather cheap one, until i send in my blaupunket sanfransico CD 72 for repairs. my system is 2 kicker CRV 15s, a 3000 watt power acousic amp, with 4 gauge goin back.  any help would be nice, cuz this is gettin ridculous. thanks

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
You need a bigger altenator, that simple. Get a bigger altenator and your problems will be fixed, its your only practical solution.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
noakes75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
fare enough, i think my factory one is 80 amp, what would be a good growth?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
120 amps plus is the minimum
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
noakes75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
where do i go to get one of these? and will this fry all my facorty realys or anything?
noakes75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
was i even on the right track with the cap and the batterie, or was it a waste of money?
Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
You were on the right track but should have started with the altenator not finished with it. As far as where to get one, there are a number of online stores or just a local parts store can probally get one for you as well. You will just have to check around. As far as how big, If your factory is 80 amps and you have your power acoustic amp, check the fuse rating on the amp. If it has 80 amps worth of fuses in it than I would probally be looking at 140-160 amp altenator. The factory generally dont leave much room for upgrades on their charging system but in the same breath and amp that has a max draw of 80 amps isnt gonn be drawing 80 amps under normal play, probally more like 60 amps, which is why I said around the 140-160 mark. Also if you go with like 160 it leaves you a little room to upgrade. With that said, if you cant find anything bigger than say 120, dont sweat it because with the Yellow Top and the cap that is gonna help out your charging system anyways.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 12:13 AM / IP Logged  
wow, 80 ampers and u were pushing 3000 watts? How the hell does your car start? I'm with Raven on this, you need something around 140 ampers to be pushing the true potential of your system. I'd also recomend upgrading that wiring of yours to 1/0 AWG, other wise your gona be choking off the power to the amp on long bass notes which will cause distortion.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
stratusfear69 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  

i doubt it makes 3000W.  If so, 4 gauge is not enough and u're straining it.  the amp alone would need 200A fuse, does it?

noakes75 wrote:

a 3000 watt power acousic amp,

Ravendarat 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2004 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
I wasnt to concerened about that being a legit rating, hence why I didnt bother tellig him to upgrade his wire. Im betting on that amp drawing around 80 amps, and if Im right than 4 gauge is suffiecent.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic