icon

2004 silverado factory deck

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tbirdman74 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
I have seen a few posts about relocating the factory deck and using aftermarket harnesses, but was wondering can anyone tell me what all functions, and or controls will be lost by not keeping the factory HU.  This vehicle does not have onstar or any of the other crap, just want to know what will be lost?  Thanks.
If it don't fit, Force it.
If it breaks, You needed a new one anyway!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
The manufacturers make these harnesses for a specific reason. While some people say all you lose in the doorbell chimes and trust me cus it's been discussed on blah blah blah forum and they are the guys who know, here is the real issue. What guarantee on the install are they going to give you or your customer if something does happen and the wrong parts were used? Use the proper parts and this will never be an issue.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tbirdman74 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Rob, I was juste curios, because  I have a customer who doesn't want to buy the harness and doesn't want to keep the factory HU.  Just wondering what would all be lost as far as functions and controls?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  

Ask him to find out how much that factory head unit is worth from GM and then ask him if he still wants to keep it? My bet is that when he finds out it is worth over $300.00 he'll be keeping it. Some GM vehicles loop the door chime circuits through the radio and maybe any other warning bells as well. Some vehicles also for warranty reasons need the factory radio for the technicians callback codes. When he plugs into the data diagnostic port, the factory radio may read back the error codes. I'm sure that some of the other guys will add more.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

Iv seen where the door locks go crazy, and the alarm goes off  when you remove the radio, , , so if he wants to keep his stuff locked up and safe, , they he should spend the $50 for the harness.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
2002sportside 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Doesn't Metra offer a harness with a speaker for this?  Part number VT-GMRC-01.  With it you retain chimes but don't have to keep the factory radio... seems to add to the "rumor" that all you lose is chimes.  I know that's all I've ever lost in my GM vehicles...
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

the GMRC-01 maintains the integrity of the Class II bus on the E&C  circuit... eliminating an open circuit.... as mentioned it also gives you the chime speaker back and supplies a switched acc power source that is lacking at the radio

we use it here or simply dont do the install.... i wouldnt let a customer cajole me into doing a half a**ed install based on the fact he didnt want to spend the extra $$ needed to do a job properly....

more than the potential safety issues involved, it's pretty much a matter of professionalism..... if a customer cant afford or doesnt want to pay to have it done properly and professionally, it's probably best he deal with one of the myriad of backyard mechanics out there willing to do sloppy installs in their driveway.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
tbirdman74 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you all.  I can now say that I do not want to deal with the problems associated with this install.. He will either have to do it right or go to someone else.  I dont need that kind of headache at anytime.  Thanks again everyone.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic