icon

Ground Q/A sticky

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
clem56 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, I signed up on this site just to talk to you, Rob.

I've been tryin to figure out this problem for about a week, and I'm just stumped.

2006 Chevy colorado

Pioneer DEH...something or another... headunit

Bazooka ELA 300.1 amp
Crunch GTR subs

I had 2 bazooka subs, upgraded to the crunches, then i wired it differently, but wired them right back to the way I normally had them (i'm thinking i wired them at a lower impedence when i changed). Ever since then I had alot of engine noise, and everytime I cut on and off my amp I get a thud. Also, when i cut the volume from 0 to 1 there's a pop.

I tried a few things, a ground loop isolator (which cut out the sound...but also the music), then tried my buddy's 1200w RMS audiobahn amp, and it didn't cut it out either....now he's saying that he has road noise with it back in his car, too...but I'm not sure, he may just be paranoid.

With the engine off, I can hear the noise of the cd spinning, anything electical (blinkers, etc), and even if i tap on the head unit, i can hear it all through the subs.

I've noticed that the traffic in this room has slowed, but I'm hoping that somebody will help me out with my problem.

I just bought a new Audiobahn head unit with 4v preouts (as opposed to my Pioneer's 2v), which should be here in about a week, I'll see if it helps.

Please, anybody, let me know that my money hasn't gone down the drain, and I can recover my system.

The Clem's system:
Current:
Audiobahn Head
Audiobahn A8000T amp
2 Crunch GTR-D2 350w RMS 12" Subs
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
Chances are better than the average bear that it is the headunit that is the culprit. Take a small length of wire and bare the ends on it. Attach one end to ground on the cd player. Take the other end and wrap it around the shield of one of the rca cables where it plugs into the cd player and see if that gets rid of the noise. Post back the results.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
clem56 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
I hooked it up like you said, nothing permanent though, just 2 wraps so it probably wasn't the best connection but it cut the sound out a LOT. I don't have the popping noises when I cut the amp on/off, but I still have a little bit of engine noise, though it was reduced greatly.
So where do I go from here?
-Clem
The Clem's system:
Current:
Audiobahn Head
Audiobahn A8000T amp
2 Crunch GTR-D2 350w RMS 12" Subs
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
The cd player itself is the culprit (surprise surprise). The unit needs to go for service or be replaced with say an Eclipse....Ground Q/A sticky - Page 22 -- posted image.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
pbred11583 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed a new stereo into my 99 Ford Contour.  When I turned the radio on, it was making a loud repetitive thumping noise.  I checked my wire connections and they appeared to be tight.  Do you know what else I should check for.
aaronswb2 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2006 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  

I really need some help here. I believe I have a ground problem but cannot figure it out.

First, here's my set up: 2004 jeep wrangler X, alpine cda-9857 cd player w/ I-pod hook up, PPI pcx-2200, PPI pcx-280, JL 12w6v2, diamond audio 3-way hex component set in the front run off of the ppi pcx 280, and a set of diamond audio mid-bass run off of the head unit.

The problem I have is a whining/clicking sound when the car is turned on as well as alternator noise. When you run the stereo with the car off there is almost no noise. Also, when you change from the radio to cd, or cd to ipod, etc... there is a loud thump. The thump also occurs when the volume is turned all the way down, but not when the radio is turned on or off.

So far I have rewired all of the speakers thinking there might be a short in one of them, and re-grounded the headunit and amps. I also changed the location of the cross-overs. I may have wasted a bunch of money, but I replaced all my cables with really good monster rca's and twisted speaker cable. The HU is grounded directly to the firewall and powered directly from the battery. The amps have 4-guage cable both in and out and are grounded at a single point about a foot away.  

Any ideas or suggestions would really help, THANKS!!

manthatufear 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
ok i am haveing a problem with a ground i think?
i recently bought a 1998 grand am and tonight i was wireing me pioneer radio and my kenwood amp which i had recently in a past car i had and worked fine but in this one when ever i have my rca jacks connected to the amp the amp feeds back with any contac with the radio so i dunno if theirs a ground loop in the car but i have my ground wire goin to the trunck fram and is well grounded and have tried 2 amps and i got the same results with both so if you have any suggestion plz reply thanx
kirb112 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2006 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
1998 Honda Accord LX
I have had whining problems with my system for a very long time now. I am finally getting around to trying to fix it. At first, I had pretty poor wuality RCAs. I then replaced all of my RCAs with top-of-the-line RCAs. I have a set of 4 channel RCAs going from my HU to an electronic crossover in my trunk (for my 4channel mid & high amp). The crossover is gounded with a 14ga wire that is less than a foot long. I also have another set of 2ch RCAs going from the HU to the crossover (for my sub amp). From the crossover I have another set of 4 channel RCAs going to my mid & high amp, and a 2-channel set going to my sub amp. The sub amp is on the back of my rear seat, and the 4-channel amp is under my driver seat. I have a capacitor in the trunk as well. The cap and the sub amp share a common ground in the trunk. I scraped all the paint off and grounded them together. The 4-ch amp under my seat is grounded to the seat mount. I have a 0ga wire coming from the battery to the cap, then from the cap to a distribution block uner my rear seat. I have a 4 ga wire coming off the block for my sub amp, a 8 ga wire for my 4-ch amp, and a 14 ga wire that runs up to a reote turn-on relay that I have in my fusepanel. The remote turn ons for both of my amps and my crossover come off this relay. I got the diagram on how to wire the relay off of this site. WHEW! I think I have given all the details.
I know the problem is not the crossover because I had the problem before I got the crossover; when I had the RCAs running straight to the amps.
PLEASE help my fix this problem. I have been dealing with it for over a year now. I have looked at gound loop isolators, but I didnt want to buy any if there was another way to fix the problem. I don't mind buying them though, they are not expensive.
honda_civic_si 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  
Ok So i went through a few of the the posts in this section. I didn't know that ground can be such a problem in electrical. Geesh....well anyway.....i couldn't find what i needed so i'm posting.
So i hooked up a few head units in cars before. It's pretty easy cut and dry to install a basic stereo head unit in a car. From what i understand and have been doing is just getting the correct wiring harness for the correct vehicle.....just cut the wires, reconnect them with the correct wiring harness and you're good to go. But How come whenever i connect the GROUND WIRE, to the GROUND wire to it's nesassary BLACK wire of the car, it never works? But then when i ground the wire from the stereo to the ground chasis, it seems to work fine? I don't understand it.
Some one please educate me on this?
thanks in advanced
DjRDifacs 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2006 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
I am currently running 2 amps. I have 4guage power wire to a distro block, then 8guage power wire to each amp. Both amps have 8 guage ground wire as well. I will be upgrading my sup amp to a Kenwood Excelon KAC-X812D mono amp with 4 guage power inputs. Should I change my 8 guage ground to a 4 guage ground for the Kenwood?
Thanks in advance.
Page of 24

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic