the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Ground Q/A sticky

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 1:08 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for registering on the site. I hope you find the info here useful. There is a boatload of tech info here that is not available to you on the other site at this time. Stay awhile and learn if you like, ask questions, there are no stupid ones that I or others have not heard 1000's of times (OK some of us old guys 10,000 + times).

The issue is definitely going to be with the Pioneer head unit. If you can borrow a friends cd player, give it a try and see if you get noise. Failing that, try temporarily attaching a ground wire to the back center screw mount on the cd player. The other end of the wire I want you to touch to the outer shield of one of the rca outputs on the back of the cd player. If the noise goes away, you need to attach that bare end to the shield of one of the rca cables.

This of course is a band aid solution. The cd player has been damaged and needs service or replacement. If you are open to options on a better cd player, I will recommend the Eclipse line as I have for over 11 years now. Your ears will thank you, especially when you start to hear things in your music that you did not hear before.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mmii 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Rob. Assuming there are no stupid questions here, let me ask this... even though it is a band-aid solution, is there a "proper" way to attach the bare end of the ground to the outer shield of the RCA?
Do I just fold the bare wire over the edge of the RCA, basically wedging it under and plug it in to the HU? Or do I actually strip a portion of an RCA and join them together?
(why do I still feel like I still asked a stupid question?) lol Ground Q/A sticky - Page 21 -- posted image.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

That would be a definite NO to your idea as it can lead to dead shorting the rca outputs. Not the best of ideas. What I like to do is strip back a portion of the rca cables outer plastic barrier to expose the outer shield of the rca cable. Then I will wrap a wire onto it, solder in into place and then heatshrink it. This of course works with the molded end type of rca cable. With a removeable end on the rca cable it is as simple as just that, remove the end, solder another wire onto the outer shield wire, attach the end again, ground the new wire.

mmii 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Got ya. I figured I'd get the big no on that first idea.
Short of soldering the new wire in, can I just twist it in with essentialy the same end result?
forbidden 
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  

You certainly can.

mmii 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2006 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
Fabulous. Thanks Rob and to anyone else who contributed. Will report back with my results at some point...
Cheers!
mmii 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. I'm back from the great audio abyss to give you my report...
Well Rob, your suggestion to tap into the HU RCA out with a ground wire instantly shut my alternator whine up. Not even a hint of whine remains. Wow, I'm truly grateful. Though the victory is bittersweet considering how many hours I spent rechecking my work before coming here for help.
My question now is, why is this fix only a band-aid solution?
I know this is not how the HU is supposed to function from the factory, but it works! Is the HU at risk if it isn't serviced?
Thank you again!
MMII
ro,boy,to 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2006 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

I have recently installed all my system, except for the ground, as it is the only part im not sure of. I drive a 1998 Ford Expedition XLT, help would be greatly appreciated, as i miss my...stock music ha.

With Age, Comes Wisdom, I HOPE
rodneydtracy 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

Hey forbidden! First of all, I need to apologize,  I have what is apparently a similar problem to mmii's, and have been discussing it on a different thread ( when I checked this thread out before posting I guess I didn't go far enough into it) but the other thread is bogged down, and I was wondering if you could help.

My stepdad's system is pretty simple, 4 6x9's, a 12" sub, and a 5 channel kenwood amp. He had a Kenwood KDC-s5009 indash, and I recently tried 'upgrading' him to a KDC9015 I had sitting around.

Here's the thing I can't figure out: With the original indash the system sounded great. With the new one I get this mild high pitched noise with the car off and an obnoxious alternator noise with the car running. I put the old indash back in, no noise. All the wiring is the same, I even tried using the older unit's wiring harness with the newer unit (they are the same harness) and the noise is still there.

The noise doesn't go away if I unplug the antenna, or in I leave the antenna plugged in and unhook the ground wire. It is still there if either the front or rear RCAs (or both) are hooked up. (The system is all run off of the Kenwood 5 channel, no speakers are run off of the indash.

Oh, I forgot, the newer unit also has the kenwood dashtop display unit and compass that go with it, but the noise is still there even with that unplugged. Also, the newer indash has the higher output 4.5v preamps.It is really annoying, because the 9015 looks great and all the features work on it. It is all installed in a '93 Dodge Ramcharger, if that makes a difference.

I have tried the method suggested of grounding the outside of the RCAs, but when I did it actually made the noise louder, both when the truck is running and when its not. ( I grounded the RCAs to the same factory ground strap the indash is grounded to.

This is the name of the other thread:Kenwood indash noise problem?  I apologize if I'm breaking any rules here by posting in two threads simultaneously, I don't use forums that often.

Can you help me? I am extremely frustrated.

While I wait helplessly, I am goind to go out and try running different RCAs from the indash to the amp, to see if it makes any difference.

gonethavorn 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2006 at 6:10 AM / IP Logged  
Need help ASAP. I own a 93 Lexus SC300 and just installed a Jensen 7 inch in-dash monitor, but now I have alternator whine. I had a pretty cheap Line Out Converter, amplifier, and subwoofer installed,  just before the  Jensen and when I had the factory unit it had no problems with any kind of engine noise. The previous owner already had wires ran for the installation of the amp, so I just used the ones that were already in there for the time being. Later on today I'm going to try and change all wiring. But if anybody has suggestions let me know. Thanks alot...Gone Thavorn
Page of 24

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic