icon

Which Relay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chromic-Chris 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2004 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  

If you're adding functions from window rollup, or rear defrost, front fan, to heated seat activation......which relays are typically used for each application?

All would be SPDT 12v, but what about current ratings etc....?

Are there a few out there that you guys swear by?

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
30-40 amp relays are the standard. Read, measure the current flow for each source you wish to interface to.
Or you could simply look at the fuse rating on the panel. Remember, the manufacture has stressed the load on each circuit so the fuse rating is fairly accurate with all things being equal.
Relay brands I use are Bosch 0 332 204 150 for internal use, Bosch 0 332 204 171 sealed exterior use, P&B VF4-45F11 internal use, and Midtex internal use with diode V461B3D1.
All of them are proven performers, given the proper placement, installation, and maximum current demands.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Chromic-Chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2004 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thankyou Mr. T. Appreciate your info!
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2004 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
Uh for the most part all relays are rated at 30a across their contacts. Nothing security related requires more than that....nothing.
Someone pass me that bottle.
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
RufNUSD wrote:
Uh for the most part all relays are rated at 30a across their contacts. Nothing security related requires more than that....nothing.
That would not be accurate. If you're doing a RS for a heavy duty GM van, or Ford which easily draws 40 amps, a 30 amp relay would not lasts too many years.
All the high end alarms systems in the past supply a 40 amp relay to do the starter inhibit.
As it is with anything it seems these days, common sense, and quality has gone out the window.
Just because everyone is doing it now with a 30 amp relay doesnt mean that is correct for all applications.
Bottom line, apply the correct relay with the appropiate current rating to ensure the MFR of 10 years.
That is the standard set out by Bosch and P&B, not 2 years.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
RufNUSD 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
Brother man.... you are telling me that you pull more than 30amps continuous? The only thing in security related history, in a lot of experience, which adhered to relay amperage problems was Code Alarm and their starter kill-------15 years ago. I have never replaced a 30a relay due to meltdown of amperage in a security install even after working on more than 50,000 personally and seeing more than 500,000 go thru my shop. Call it a fluke?....Cheers, Mel
Someone pass me that bottle.
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
I am stating to you that specific vehicles and situations such as large GM vans who's interior heaters and blowers for example easily draw down 30 ampere's.
In that example, are you saying you would simply use a standard 30 amp relay, without the proper amount of current buffer???
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Chromic-Chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

I can't.

After reading the above, I had nightmares all night.

....dreamed I was brawling in the streets with brass knuckles, baseball bats, and assorted 12 V relays.

(actually I did have a thought though...some models have limited option channels. One way to add features is to group them on the same channel like putting heated seats (20A) and rear defrost (10A) on the same channel. This would tie 2 relays together at about 30A. Then I realized the outputs would be in parrallel so it shouldn't be additive............?

As far as option channel trigger outputs I  think the max is usually about 300 mA. That should be Ok  to energize two relay coils right?

...Sweet dreams!

tbirdman74 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  

Chromic-Chris wrote:
....dreamed I was brawling in the streets with brass knuckles, baseball bats, and assorted 12 V relays

HA!!  That is one of the funniest things I have heard in years.

Remember the Heroes.  Let's Roll.

If it don't fit, Force it.
If it breaks, You needed a new one anyway!
mobilevt 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

Aww heck, get a 70a relay and hibernate!!!

Sean

Emergency Vehicle Technician
Got Freedom? Thank a vet!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic