icon

Viper ESP550 Trunk Output

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fierygt 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, new to this forum, so please forgive me, but have a few years experience in this genre.  Ok, so anyway, i think i may have messed the trunk output of the Viper 550 alarm, because i was replacing the relay that controls that part of the unit, and not paying attention i hooked up the relay wrong.  Before you ask how, basically i guess i was just off by one connection when i rehooked it back up.  I was mainly wondering if anyone here is good with the internals of these types of electronics and if they could give some advice.  Seems like I may have messed up a resistor or maybe transistor inside the control unit.  The unit is still sending a signal to that relay though, so i am right now kind of flustered.  Any advice anyone?
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
What is the current output from the alarm CPU? Less than 100 mA?
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
fierygt 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

hey teken, the manual says the output can only supply 200mA of current, does that help you?

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry that wasnt what I asked you. Please take your DMM and configure it to measure (I) current.
Once you activate the trunk out put, you should be able to measure the current output coming out of the alarm CPU.
The current output from the alarm needs to be above 100 mA.
There are only a few relays that can sustain a open / close contact with a *holding current* of less than 100 mA based on a standard Bosch, P&B, or Midtex relay.
Measure it, and let us know, it could be the output.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
fierygt 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
ok Teken, just measured, and here are the figures i got. Bear in mind my digital multimeter is pretty crude, but i'll give you a couple of different readings.  If I set the multimeter to 2000m, I get a reading of about 617(constant), now if i set it to 20 volts i get a reading of .62 volts.  I am not very good at translating measurements but both sound adequate to me.  Like i said, my multimeter isn't very sophisticated but will those readings work ok for you?  I am going to work on translating them  right now to make sure, there adequate, but i also want to thank you for the help so far and i'll wait for a reply.
fierygt 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
Teken, sorry, but please disregard that whole last post, as i measured in volts. Sorry about that.  If i measure with the dmm set at 20mA, i get a reading of 1.30, if i set it to 200mA, i get a reading of 1.3 so does that make any sense to you.  Sorry about the confusion, as i am still learning my electronics skills.
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
If the voltage is indeed 0.62 VDC. The output is none functional.
aka = Output is fried
It needs to be 12 volts, and the output current needs to be at least 65-100 mA. 200 mA is what it should output, but a relay can still function with 65-100 ish.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
You are doing just fine. When the DMM is at the 20 mA range you are measuring only 1.30 mA?
If so, the output is dead, please have it serviced or replaced.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
fierygt 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
hey Teken, unfortunately i installed this alarm by myself several years ago, which meant no warranty.  And the fact that the trunk output is the only part that doesn't function doesn't really give me enough motivation to get a whole new system.  Do you know if it might be a transistor or resistor or maybe even a diode that could need replacing?  I don't mind opening it up and trying.  I have built some cables and things to relay to my car's ecm so i could hook into a laptop, so i'm not totally ignorant when it comes to those parts, but not sure where to look when something goes wrong.  Any more information is greatly appreciated and thanks for all the help so far.
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
I just want to ensure we are both on the same page. When you configured your DMM to measure curent, you have to place the red (+) lead from your DMM in the (mA) milliampere jack, and not in the AMP's jack.
The dial also needs to be adjusted to the correct reading value to capture the current. Start from the highest reading, and work your way down untill you capture a current reading.
As for the voltage, you will again have to plug in your test leads to the appropiate jack for volts, and leave the black lead on the common jack.
Place the DMM in VDC, and not ACV, and measure the reading each time you hit the button on your remote control to intiate the output.
Please let me know if the numbers are correct as they are stated above.
If so, you can simply leave the unit alone, and use the relay diagram to the left of this forum, to make a dual use output channel. It is not the ideal method, but it can be made to work for your application if you wish.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic