Spl Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
MBZ oe wrote:

Can the Servo drive subs produce different/multiple bass notes at a rapid pace? Like a good standard sub? It sounds like it would be slow/less responsive with the belt drive.  

And what about the rude noises? What kind of rude noises are you talking about? Belt drive/servo motor noise? Or what?

A.

from what i understand the servodrive is good for only one set frequency. i might be wrong tho.

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
Wiseguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
MBZ oe wrote:

Can the Servo drive subs produce different/multiple bass notes at a rapid pace? Like a good standard sub? It sounds like it would be slow/less responsive with the belt drive.  

And what about the rude noises? What kind of rude noises are you talking about? Belt drive/servo motor noise? Or what?

A.

from what i understand the servodrive is good for only one set frequency. i might be wrong tho.

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
Custom Pre-amp
Wiseguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
sorry for the double postSpl Sub - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image.
Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
Custom Pre-amp
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
Nope. Servodrive stuff diggs along very quickly and accurately. The actual mechanical (friction) losses are lower than a traditional cone type driver due to the fact that the motor used to drive the assembly is inherently faster than a voicecoil/spider.   They are also rather clean... scary thing is, with no harmonics, they are playing louder than percieved. I have stood close to a block of four.... it is sickening to tell you the truth. And this is outside, free field. Put them in a smaller room (IE: van) and it is just pure pressure. Rather musical subs... however, at $4000+/box, minimum 4 required to load the horn mouth effectively, they are not a cost effective option.
Gus
PS: I'm a live audio tech on the side.... I've mixed on them.... they hammer!
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
Hi Gus..........Ive never had an opertunity to work with these servo drives youve been speaking of. Are those the spiral looking cones that kinda radiate up from a cylinder like tube? Educate me please?
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
That would be the PG Cyclone (looked like a moulinex, actually). Unfortunately, they are rather hard to come by, as they haven't been actively manufactured for almost 5 years.   
Servo stuff has been/still is in active use throught the pro audio world. Basically any sound reinforcement that requires very clean, very loud, and accurate subbass, they tend to turn towards a servo product for a solution. Think large stadiums, outdoor concerts, the odd rave, amusement parks for "effects" in rides, etc. Really neat technology, very complicated to implement properly (lots of physics involved), but the results are simply stunning..... ever have low end that is very loud, yet you can't localize it at all, but you can feel it right into your fillings? Welcome to Servodrive
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic