icon

good 3-4 mid range

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xfsrg 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
what is a good brand/model for a 3"-4" mid range speaker.  i will be using it as a center speaker for a 5.1 setup.  i am using the avm-p9000r for the 6 channel audio, so 50w rms should be sufficient.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  

How about this: http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=WR125S

They are a true full range driver.  In a .25 cubic foot ported enclosure you will have extention all the way up to 18 kHz on axis and some decent output down to 60 Hz.  They should work great as a center channel speaker.  Just be warned that they are 8 ohm drivers.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  

Looks impressive.  Hey Steven, do you know if Adire is planning to put together a kit using some Extremis drivers and some Koda 8 midbass drivers?  :-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:

Looks impressive.  Hey Steven, do you know if Adire is planning to put together a kit using some Extremis drivers and some Koda 8 midbass drivers?  :-)

I'm not sure.  I would sure like to see some XBL^2 kits personally as no other company would have kit that could compete.  But we have so much other stuff going on right now, I don't know if it will happen any time soon if at all.

Honestly I would like to see instead an MTM setup using the Extremis 6.  It would have the extention of our Kit 281, but have a better midrange.  They would easily surpass any tower speaker in the $10k and under price range.

BTW, I'm going to use those Creative Sound 4" full range drivers as my rear surrounds in my home theater. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2004 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
Honestly I would like to see instead an MTM setup using the Extremis 6.  It would have the extention of our Kit 281, but have a better midrange.  They would easily surpass any tower speaker in the $10k and under price range.

Drool .. next spring I'm planning on building some home stereo towers.  I'm thinking of going MTM Extremis 6 w/ 2 Koda 8 midbass drivers filling out the lower end.

xfsrg 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  

since JL Audio makes good speakers and i already have an amp and sub from them. I have considered matching the rest of my speakers to them. Are either of these 4" speakers good?

Also, which is better for center speaker? component midrange or coaxial?
one thing i noted was they didnt list any specs for the component midrange. why is that?
XR400-CM 4-Inch Component Midrange
http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/XR400CM.html#
XR400-CX 4-Inch Coaxials
http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/XR400CX.html

I

xfsrg 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

I looked at the speaker that was recommended earlier and it looked nice.  Only its not available, and the pre-order price is MORE than the original price.  that seems kind of weird to me.  So if i do get it, I will just wait until it comes out to save the difference.

kfr01 
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
I'd listen before buying.  I've actually never liked the sound of JL mids / high speakers for the price.  They make great subs, but their coax and components have never sounded good to me.  I have a/b tested them with Memphis, Diamond, and Mb Quart and liked all of the above better than the JLs.
Steven Kephart 
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  
xfsrg wrote:

I looked at the speaker that was recommended earlier and it looked nice.  Only its not available, and the pre-order price is MORE than the original price.  that seems kind of weird to me.  So if i do get it, I will just wait until it comes out to save the difference.

You've gotta look a little closer.  That pre-order price is for a pair. good 3-4 mid range -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

JoulesWinfield 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

I actually have a pair of the XR 4CX that I have never installed.

I was thinking of either installing them in my Blazer or selling them. But if I were to sell them I would want more than $100.00 thats for sure.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic