icon

BMW vs Benz

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
M5 is what I am going to go for (unless I am forced by family 'elders' to go for the Benz)
And fuseblower, I thought about it a few times and two thoughts came to me about gas prices. If they go high, the good side is there will be less traffic congestion on streets, don't you agree? Where I live, traffic congestion can be (and is) a nightmare.
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2004 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Haha sorry I read this thread after you already posted your decision, no offense to anyone on the board, but in my eyes its not even a dilema.  I love BMW, and would take one any day, but to compare an E55 to an M5 is just too easy, the E55 wins hands down IMO.  More hp, better 1/4 times, higher top end from what Ive heard, very refined interior, with options like keyless go and distronic.  Dont get me wrong, you hand me the keys to an M5 and I would crap myself, but Ive ridden in both and I thought that the E55 was superior in every aspect.  I will agree that although the numbers state otherwise, the M5 did feel sportier, the E55 felt too refined and tame, you give a car 467 hp and you better not try to limit it, that was the mistake amg made when working on the car.  Good luck with your decision, I would love to take on a dilema like that any day, whatever you choose you will love it.  Oh and I should mention that I am so biased because the E55 is my absolute top pick in a car, you hand me two million dollars and I would go buy a loaded E55 amg, and then go build a 427 ac cobra
losone 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  
A benz will never outhandle a bimmer... now don't get be wrong, Benz's do ride smoother down the road, but when you hit the canyon's it over with, the M5 will smoke that E class.  Ive owned both & there is a reason they call bimmer's the ultimate drving machine's- that is, if you know how to drive!  Plus that tranny in the E55 doesn't compare to the 6 speed gearbox or any gearbox that bmw builds for that matter.
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

markcars,

I like your theory but I wish it was true.  Out here it seems that since gas has going up there are more cars on the road.  Not to help the situation any more it seems that on every street you turn on there is some type of construction so if there is no traffic you still can't go fast (bummer).  To add to it the police out here stand outside of there cars and run radar and pyhsically stand in the highway to pull you over. 

Now how's that for a Sunday run?

hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

what's up with police stepping out in front of your car. this police officer did it to me on July 5th, good thing i had at least a few hours of sleep (seeing how it was july 4th) or else i probably wouldn't have stopped. but honestly, i can see them hiding and sniping you with their radar then sending a car after you. it takes balls to step out in the middle of the street. and where i live, you get scared even when you have to cross the stree with the walk signal.

obviously the gas price problem does not effect people, maybe except me, i started riding the bus to work, and the transit system here is scary. but you see people with SUV and driving everywhere. when i bike i can, when i walk i can. but this all coming from a college kid with no money also.

as far as the car dilemma, i have only ridden in the two, but i like the BMW better. for some reason it just seemed a little more classy to me. but they are both wickedly fun to ride in, and hopefully sometime when i'm outta school and have a job i can face your problem. good luck.

~AFAccord~ 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2004 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
M5 Hands-down.  7-speed tranny that shifts in 65ms? There's no comparison.  Just ask Car and Driver who did the M5 vs E55 Comparison.
Black Cherry
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it."
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic