icon

Adding Aux Source to 2003 Trailblazer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bthielsen 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
i've got an 03 trailblazer lt, and would like to add an aux input to the factory head unit - all signs seems to point to this being possible (HU has cd/aux button, had option for rear seat dvd player when purchased).
has anyone successfully done this? i inititally tried adding an icelink from desion, but that turned out to be a no go, due to the specific model radio i have ('am/fm' button, instead of 'band' button).
any help is greatly appreciated!
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2004 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
take a look at the back of the radio if there is a round plug on the back that is unused then you can put a plug in via rca,   I know a few have been talked about on here recently   maybe someone will help out and name the maker
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
bthielsen 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
my head unit has only three connections - a 24 pin harnesss, a 12 pin harness, and an antenna - no RCAs (i wish) i've checked out some of the products that look like they may work, like the GM12-AUX version 2 and the SVG-707 updated version, but i'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with adding an aux input to this type of radio.
-ben
fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
go to www.pac-audio.com they have one that should plug right into the factory HU..
Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
GM12-Aux will work fine
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
bthielsen 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
thanks everyone for the replies. one follow up question: a few people have mentioned that i will have to get the head unit reprogrammed in order to use the aux function, since it is currently inactive. can anyone confirm if this is indeed the case? if it is, is that something only a dealership can do?
thanks
-ben
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2004 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
i've never had to.... although i know the setup is different depending on the radio thats in there...if it's a single disc then you dont do anything, just hook it up, but the 6 disc indash units have to be programmed via SPS uploads, so it may be an issue... next time i do one i'll see, since i do these uploads probably once a week
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
neener 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

I have been trying to figure out this problem for over six months now. I have tried the PAC, PIE and Soundgate aux input adapters to no avail. I have the Bose 6 disc in dash w/ OnStar. My TB is a 2003 w/o Video Entertainment System. I want to add my Ipod so bad to my vehicle, but would like a direct signal instead of a degraded FM Modulator signal.

Just to clear up some things that I have found along the way:
1. You cannot use another radio from a different platfrom for the 2002 and 2003 TrailBlazers. The only vehicles that share this platform are the Trailblazer, Envoy, and Bravada. If you do try and use a radio from a different platform the dealer may be able to get it to work, but they will not be able to calibrate it. This means that for every truck it is used in, it is calibrated to work acoustically in that vehicle with the given amp installed in that vehicle.
2. In order to use an aux input adapter you need to have a XM ready radio, which from what I understand would mean that you would have a Band button instead of the AM/FM button.
3. The 2004 Trailblazer radio has been chnaged and is now the same as all other platforms, so these can be interchanged.
I tried to put a Bose 6 disc from an Avalanche which worked with the aux adapter in the Avalanche into my Trailblazer and the dealer could not get it to calibrate, therefore not working properly. I have searched for a XM ready radio from the dealer and they said they found one and installed it and it would not pick up the aux adapter, not sure if it was really XM ready or they just changed the AM/FM button to a band button.
If anyone has a part number for the XM ready radio from a 2002 or 2003 Trailblazer that would be helpful?
Has anyone gotten an aux adapter to work in their 02/03 Trailblazer with Bose 6 disc OnStar?
$600 later and no clean signal for my Ipod!

fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
I know you don't want to hear this now but why not buy an aftermarket deck because you would be sounding good by now and still had a few bucks for more upgrades...
Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
candycane 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2004 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 04 Trailblazer with XM and with the band button.  Which aux adapter would I need and would it allow me to still have my XM services?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic